Large Monster Slayer Log Kachina by Dennis Pioche Navajo
Effigy kachina of Monster Slayer by Navajo folk artist Dennis Pioche. Carved and painted wood with leather.
64 inches tall ... moreEffigy kachina of Monster Slayer by Navajo folk artist Dennis Pioche. Carved and painted wood with leather.
64 inches tall including the carved feathers, 54 inches without.
About Monster Slayer:
Monster Slayer (called Naayéé neizghání) was the older of the twin sons of Changing Woman (asdzáán nádleehé) and their father was the Sun (Jóhonaa'éí).
They were born to rid the earth of monsters, monsters who were killing all the people. Within four days they could walk, every day they grew taller and after 12 days they were full grown. After proving to their father that they were indeed his sons he clothed the older with turquoise and the younger in white shell and asked their reason for finding him.
They told him they wished to have his zig zag lightning, flint shoes, flint clubs, flint leggings, flint garments and other flint implements to better kill the monsters.
He told them that the monsters were actually their brothers. They were not dissuaded. He offered them jewels, livestock and wild game, plants and beautiful flowers, rain and rainbows. They refused him each time, insisting upon getting the lightning and flints.
The Sun relented and then placed agate inside them, making them impossible to injure and gave them the weapons and clothing they asked for. The older brother got dark flint garments, the younger blue flint.
The Sun gave them prayersticks and then told them that the younger brother would sit watching these prayersticks while the older went out to kill the monsters. If these prayersticks began to burn, this would signal that his brother was in danger and that he should go to him to help.
He then took them to the sky opening and told them where to find the Big Giant [Yé'iitsoh]. He was the most fearsome and powerful monster. He was creature from the early part of the world who made his living killing and eating humans and devoured so many people humanity nearly went extinct.
They met near Mt. Taylor (New Mexico) and killed the Big Giant after an epic battle. The monster's blood turned to the lava seen around Mt. Taylor today. They returned home and their mother celebrated by dancing with Yé'iitsoh's scalp between her teeth.
Monster Slayer and his brother would go on to slay other monsters. Their battles resulted in the chipmunk getting his stripes, the creation of the golden eagle, the owl, little birds and the jack rabbit getting his ears.
They were also wise and refused to slay certain monsters. Old Age, Poverty and Hunger they left alive so that the people would have children, make new things and cook, plant and hunt.
In other words: to give people things to struggle against, strive for and overcome; to give life meaning and purpose. less
- 12ʺW × 12ʺD × 64ʺH
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Typical Delivery Time: 3-6 weeks.
67570 does not qualify.
Gary Germer & Associates in Portland, OR
With over 30 years in the trade, Gary Germer & Associates is Portland's leading specialist ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Bust Sculptures
- Indian Sculptures
- Owl Sculptures
- Cat Sculptures
- Wire Sculptures
- Horse Sculptures
- Buddha Sculptures
- Cubist Sculptures
- Metal Wall Sculptures
- Lion Sculptures
- Nude Sculptures
- Bear Sculptures
- Bas Relief Sculptures
- Dragon Sculptures
- Roman Sculptures
- Eagle Sculptures
- Lotus Sculptures
- Egyptian Sculptures
- Relief Sculptures
- Elephant Sculptures
- Rustic Sculpture
- Black Sculpture
- Venus Sculptures
- Hand Sculptures
- Native American Sculpture
- Wood Sculpture
- Geometric Sculptures
- Red Sculpture
- Tree Sculptures
- Greek Sculptures
- Sound Sculptures
- Angel Sculptures
- Animal Sculptures
- Heart Sculptures
- Sculpture in Portland, OR
- Surrealist Sculptures
- Brick Red Sculpture
- Mobile Sculptures
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.