Clever storage is always en vogue — hence the endless timeless appeal of armoires and wardrobes.
Wardrobes and armoires have been relatively constant fixtures since Medieval times.
These weighty, free-standing cabinets have endured for centuries thanks to their abundance of storage — something that humans have needed throughout the centuries. They were originally designed to store linens and other essentials.
The design of the wooden wardrobe and armoire features the classic two French-style doors that open to reveal a hanging bar for clothes.
Antique Wardrobes at Chairish
Here at Chairish, we have no shortage of amore for the versatile vintage armoire. If you’re on the hunt for an armoire for sale, there’s no better place to start your search!
Whether you’re looking to track down an antique armoire in a traditional [French Provincial(https://www.chairish.com/collection/armoires-wardrobes-and-linen-presses/french-provincial) style or you have your heart set on a 1970’s polished burlwood design, we likely have something to fit the bill at Chairish.
Discover antique wardrobe designs in classic and popular styles, including:
For modernists, our vintage wardrobe offerings include designs outfitted in high-design materials like pencil reed, lacquer and wicker.
Shop vintage armoires for sale that include the best designs from beloved brands like Hendredon, Mastercraft and Thomasville.
Before you head off for some happy antique armoire shopping on our website, here’s a little more information about how these sought-after wardrobes came to be.
The History of the Armoire
The armoire closet has undergone many iterations since its inception.
In the Middle Ages, these designs were known as “presses.” Similar to the models of today, presses were used for stashing clothing, including robes.
In Italy, the concept transformed into the linen press and in the Netherlands, the “kast,” which was essentially a huge cupboard. In France, they became a place to stockpile weapons and defense gear.
The current iteration of the wooden wardrobe — the large, free-standing cabinet intended to function as a makeshift closet that we know and love today — surfaced in France in approximately the 17th century.
The Armoire in Modern Day
Beginning in the 1980s, wardrobes began breaking out of the bedroom and taking on more tech-driven tasks. Namely to house hardware like TVs and computers.
When TVs and computers underwent a slim-down in the late 2000s, these wooden wardrobes were cast aside in droves.
For a short time, it seemed plausible that the armoire closet had seen its day. And yet, the quest to curb clutter never ends.
In contemporary times, armoires and wardrobes have been reimagined as a trimmer, more compact version of the standing closet. Special details like caning, parquet inlays and even glass-paned doors have ushered in a new era for the antique wardrobe.
Their shapes have also transformed. Rather than a standard-issue box, many models are coming to market with domed tops, a design element that helps to soften their overall appearance.
Questions & Answers
- Which brand has the largest assortment of armoires & wardrobes at Chairish?
- Baker Furniture Company is our most popular armoire & wardrobe brand, with 30+ items in stock.
- Do you carry brown armoires & wardrobes?
- We have armoires & wardrobes in popular colors including brown, tan, and black.
- How many vintage armoires & wardrobes does Chairish have in stock?
- We have 2,100+ vintage armoires & wardrobes in stock.
- Can I get free shipping on armoires & wardrobes from Chairish?
- Yes! Select armoires & wardrobes ship for free from Chairish.
- What are the shipping options for armoires & wardrobes?
- Armoires & wardrobes can be shipped to you, and many can be picked up locally.
- Does Chairish have armoires & wardrobes on sale?
- Yes! We have 410+ armoires & wardrobes on sale.
- New & Custom Armoires & Wardrobes
- Queen Anne Armoires Wardrobes and Linen Presses
- Almond Armoires Wardrobes and Linen Presses
- Bernhardt Armoires Wardrobes and Linen Presses
- Burgundy Armoires Wardrobes and Linen Presses
- Mastercraft Armoires Wardrobes and Linen Presses
- French Wedding Armoires
- Goldenrod Armoires Wardrobes and Linen Presses
- Spanish Revival Armoires Wardrobes and Linen Presses
- Nickel Armoires Wardrobes and Linen Presses
- 1960s Armoires & Wardrobes
- Maitland - Smith Armoires Wardrobes and Linen Presses
- Mission Armoires Wardrobes and Linen Presses
- Armoires With Glass
- Linen Armoires
- French Armoires Wardrobes and Linen Presses
- Pine Armoires
- Henredon Armoires Wardrobes and Linen Presses
- Drexel Heritage Armoires Wardrobes and Linen Presses
- Art Deco Armoires Wardrobes and Linen Presses
- Thomasville Armoires Wardrobes and Linen Presses
- Mirrored Armoires
- Ethan Allen Armoires Wardrobes and Linen Presses
- TV Armoires
- Painted Armoires