HOOKED ON PEMBROKE: DISCOVER VINTAGE PEMBROKE & DROP LEAF TABLES
Hunting for a side table with a little extra oomph? Meet the Pembroke table. A subset of the drop-leaf table category, Pembroke tables are side tables that typically come equipped with a central drawer and drop-leaf flaps that can be folded up or down on each side dispensing on the owner’s preference. Its legs are generally square, tapered, or turned. Given that Pembroke tables have been kicking around since the 18th century, they can skew primitive or ultra-sophisticated, making it a style that can be adapted to just about any living room or bedroom.
Historically, Pembroke tables evolved out of the gate-leg table, which was a popular style throughout the 17th century. The name “Pembroke” is assumed to have derived from the English aristocratic family of Pembroke. It’s believed that one member of the family—most likely Henry Herbert, the 9th Earl of Pembroke—commissioned the table at some point during the 18th century.
Today, Pembroke tables and drop-leaf tables are a favorite of designers looking for an elegant alternative to a standard side table. Designers frequently deploy Pembroke tables in pairs to flank a sofa. When unfolded, Pembroke tables typically showcase a surface width that’s larger than most standard side tables', making them perfect for choices for displaying large urn-style table lamps that might be prone to dwarfing a smaller table. Taller Pembroke side tables and drop-leaf tables can also be used as a desk. Operating similar to a secretary desk, all it takes to transform a Pembroke or drop-leaf table into a desk is tucking a chair under one unfolded table flap. Long, rectangular Pembroke tables can also be used as a sofa console. Extend one of the leaves to turn it into a bar or buffet when entertaining or maneuver it in front of the fireplace to fashion a romantic fireside dinner on a whim.
Questions & Answers
- Does Chairish have drop-leaf and pembroke tables on sale?
- Yes! We have 130+ drop-leaf and pembroke tables on sale.
- How many vintage drop-leaf and pembroke tables does Chairish have in stock?
- We have 640+ vintage drop-leaf and pembroke tables in stock.
- How much do drop-leaf and pembroke tables cost?
- Drop-leaf and pembroke tables range in price from $100 to $18,500
- Do you carry wood drop-leaf and pembroke tables?
- Wood, mahogany, and metal are our most popular drop leaf and pembroke table material types.
- What are some popular drop leaf and pembroke table styles?
- Popular drop leaf and pembroke table styles are Traditional, English, and American.
- What are some popular drop leaf and pembroke table brands?
- We have drop-leaf and pembroke tables from popular brands such as Kittinger, Baker Furniture Company, and Henkel Harris.