The context of “Victorian” matters, ranging from buttoned up toward opulent and detailed. Victorian desks and other furniture, whether an antique or inspired contemporary, lean toward the latter. Those with vintage tastes, who appreciate elegant lines and carved wood, will discover a truly unique piece that accents their home office or work area.
Why a Victorian-Style Desk?
In strictly talking about antique Victorian desks, these were created — likely mass manufactured, given the technological advances at the time — during the reign of Queen Victoria, which lasted from 1837 to 1861. Considered a turning point in furniture craftsmanship, this era stepped away from custom-only design while emphasizing comfort and style through upholstery and reviving past techniques and aesthetics. For Victorian desks, this manifested as heavy ornamentation, often in the form of embellishments or carvings with floral, fruit and ribbon themes. Woods featured dark staining or painted accents. As well, desks from this period take influence from medieval architecture, also known as Gothic revival; 17th century Jacobean strapwork; Rococo natural-inspired accents; Renaissance-like arches and figures; and the rustic-like, handmade simplicity of Arts and Crafts furniture.
Explore Modern and Antique Victorian Desks
Chairish has a strong affinity for vintage and antique pieces. We consider furniture an adventure, one that lets us explore various period styles and incorporate them into our homes. At the same time, the design of Victorian desks veers far away from the uniformity of contemporary pieces, giving each a specific context and personality. Along with this, our approach helps preserve this style and contributes to a more sustainable economy. Whether you’re an enthusiast of this furniture period or you’re enamored with its various flourishes, explore new and antique Victorian desks from our highly curated selection. Find Victorian writing desks, along with executive, rolltop and secretary styles, now.
Questions & Answers
- What are the shipping options for victorian desks?
- Victorian desks can be shipped to you, and many can be picked up locally.
- Do you carry wood victorian desks?
- Wood, metal, and mahogany are our most popular victorian desk material types.
- How many vintage victorian desks does Chairish have in stock?
- We have 170+ vintage victorian desks in stock.
- Do you carry brown victorian desks?
- We have victorian desks in popular colors including brown, auburn, and gold.
- Can I get free shipping on victorian desks from Chairish?
- Yes! Select victorian desks ship for free from Chairish.
- Slant Front Desks
- Polished Chrome Finish Desks
- L Shaped Desks
- Vintage School Desks
- 1940s Desks
- Karges Furniture Desks
- Acacia Wood Desks
- Mid-Century Modern Rosewood Desks
- Statton Furniture Desks
- Reception Desks
- Zinc Desks
- Laminate Desks
- Kipp Stewart Desks
- Vinde Mobelfabrik Desks
- Kingwood Desks
- Embossed Leather Desks
- Antique Desks
- Ethan Allen Desks
- Mid-Century Modern Desks
- Burlwood Desks
- Antique School Desks
- Wood Desks
- Drexel Desks
- Campaign Desks
- Metal Desks