Hans Erni Art Exhibition Poster, Swiss, Circa 1949
An original lithograph Swiss art exhibition poster, designed by Hans Erni, circa 1949, depicting a stylized, Picasso-inspired rendering of a ...
moreAn original lithograph Swiss art exhibition poster, designed by Hans Erni, circa 1949, depicting a stylized, Picasso-inspired rendering of a the upper body of a nude woman in black and white, resting her head on her arm and covered partially with green figs and fig leaves, on a taupe background with pale green brushwork. Text in black French above, translated into English: Rare Editions, Contemporary Paintings and below, National Gallery of Art, Lucerne Hotel National, with the street address Haldenstr., 4. Printed by Wolfsberg, Zurich. Height: 50 inches, Width: 35.5 inches Lined with acid free Japanese rice paper and ready for framing. We are happy to assist, if desired. This poster ships easily rolled in a tube.
Biographical information on the artist: Hans Erni (February 21, 1909 – March 21, 2015) was a Swiss graphic designer, painter, illustrator, engraver and sculptor. Born in Lucerne, the third of eight siblings, to a cabin cruiser engineer, he studied art at the Académie Julian in Paris and later in Berlin, and admired artists such as Pablo Picasso and Georges Braque. He is known for having illustrated postage stamps, his lithographs for the Swiss Red Cross, his participation on the Olympic Committee as well as his activism. His 1939 works and first major public success was a mural titled Switzerland: "Vacation Land of the People" was commissioned and displayed for the national exhibition in Zürich. The Hans Erni Museum, situated in the grounds of the Swiss Museum of Transport in Lucerne, contains a large collection of artwork, he also designed ceramics and theatre costumes and sets. He did the art for Swiss bank notes, in the 1940s but, after the notes were already printed they were never published, because a member of the State Council of Lucerne criticized that Erni was deemed as a communist. However, Erni was never a member of any political party. In 2004, he was awarded the honorary citizenship of the city of Lucerne. On 10 January 2009 he received the SwissAward for lifetime accomplishment. In his career, he realized about 300 posters and several murals — including for the 1980 Salon international de l'automobile, Red Cross, IOC, United Nations and ICAO. He illustrated about 200 books and created 90 Postage stamps and 25 medals. (Source: Wikipedia) less
- 35.5ʺW × 0.07ʺD × 50ʺH
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Good condition. Wear consistent with age and use. Small area of restoration in upper right hand corner. Lined with acid ... moreGood condition. Wear consistent with age and use. Small area of restoration in upper right hand corner. Lined with acid free Japanese rice paper and ready for framing. Light creases on margin which will all but disappear with framing. less
- Place of Origin
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Typical Delivery Time: 7-14 days.
Andrew Spindler Antiques & Design in Essex, MA
Established in 1998 and located in the historic shipbuilding village of Essex, Massachusetts, a short ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Mid-Century Modern Posters
- Circus Posters
- Concert Posters
- Movie Posters
- Retro Posters
- Advertisement Posters
- Classroom Posters
- Psychedelic Posters
- Travel Posters
- Music Posters
- Rock Posters
- Band Posters
- Paper Posters
- Tan Posters
- Lithograph Posters
- Safety Posters
- Engraving Posters
- Illustration Posters
- Posters in Boston
- Printmaking Materials Posters
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.