Comet Club Bar by James Evanson
This product is no longer available
James Evanson's functional art has received international critical acclaim in a great number of renowned publications, including a New York ...
James Evanson's functional art has received international critical acclaim in a great number of renowned publications, including a New York Times feature article that described his furniture as fine art: "When Evanson designed a table, he didn't head to a furniture manufacturer, but to an art gallery. The furniture sold - as furniture that was art" (New York Times, January 16, 1986). His work has been exhibited in both group and solo shows in prominent galleries and museums around the world. He has been winning design awards for over 50 years, beginning with a first-place design award from General Motors in 1962. His furniture is in the homes of many celebrities, including Stephen King, Michael Douglas, Nelson Rockefeller, the Hearst Family, and many others.
The Comet Club Car is an original, hand-made work of art that was the winner of the design award for the ID Annual Design Review of 1986, and was published on page 90 and 91 of the book, James Evanson: Art, Design, Construction. It is composed of lacquered oak and fiber board, silver leaf, rubbed-in graphite, anodized aluminum, stainless steel, and silk screen.
Art et Industrie invited 4 artists to design and build bars for a special exhibit entitled Art Bars. Evanson presented the Comet Club. Silver-leaf squares were laid into wet lacquer to create permanent special 'napkins'. The black lacquered surface is speckled with red to illustrate the hot fire of Haley's Comet. Evanson is an aviator with a passion for astronomy. His interest in rotating objects in space and the circular motion that they create is expressed in the Comet Club Bar. The structure is exposed and revealed. The surface, a deep black lacquer, is rubbed with graphite to give a soft, metallic sheen and speckled with red lacquer as if the fiery trail of a comet had left its mark. In the same New York Times article quoted above, Evanson stated, "Decoration should be integral to the shape of furniture and buildings... To make art is simple, but to make art furniture means integrating many aspects so that the whole piece is not arbitrary and whimsical, but holds together."
James Evanson so cherished this fine work of art that he kept it in his home for himself. The photo here was just taken in his 8,000 square-foot Noho home/studio as it was being closed. This bar has seen only gentle, loving, and respectful use, and comes directly from the artist's home. This is a rare opportunity for you to own a fine work of art that also happens to be the most beautiful bar you have ever seen. less
- 96.0ʺW × 38.0ʺD × 42.0ʺH
- Excellent Minor wear consistent with age and history
- Shipping Options
- White Glove Shipping available in continental U.S.
- Free Local Pickup in New York, NY
- Ask the seller if Local Delivery is available
Robert T. in New York, NY
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the buyer's location.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about 3-6 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- If additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs, buyers should make sure to plan accordingly.
- Returns & Cancellations
- Except for Local Pickup and Local Delivery, buyers have 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item(s) and contact firstname.lastname@example.org if they wish to return an item. There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable). Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.