- Room Accents & Accessories
- Vessels & Vases
- Bottles & Jars & Jugs
- Mid Century Modern Art Pottery Signed Nels & Be...
Mid Century Modern Art Pottery Signed Nels & Betty Mears
Studio Pottery jar bearing the inscribed signature Mears, indicative of the work of legendary Pacific NW art potters Nelson (Nels ...
moreStudio Pottery jar bearing the inscribed signature Mears, indicative of the work of legendary Pacific NW art potters Nelson (Nels) and Betty Mears. 5 1/2 inches tall, 8 1/2 inches diameter, old basal chip, else fine.
Nels Mears (1917-2003) and Betty (1919-2011) had a long term artistic partnership lasting over 50 years. Their pottery operation had a simple division of labor. Nels was in charge of creating the pottery forms on the wheel while Betty completed all of the glazing and hand decorating of the pottery.
They met in the 1930's in Washington. Nelson Mears worked at the local gas station and Betty worked for her parents at a small country grocery store. They married in 1940, he served in WWII and returned to go to art school on the GI Bill. By the time they married Betty had already begun experimenting with ceramics. After the war she and Nels formed a deeply creative and experimental artistic partnership.
They worked with many significant NW potters including F. Cartlon Ball, Lorene and Ralph Spencer and Robert Sperry. Betty was also highly regarded as a ceramics educator.
Age compelled them to close the pottery in 1990, Betty becoming a successful painter and continuing collaboration with Nels until his death in 2003. less
- 8ʺW × 8ʺD × 5.5ʺH
- Mid 20th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Lovely pot by a Pacifc NW art power-couple. Lovely pot by a Pacifc NW art power-couple. less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Typical Delivery Time: 7-14 days.
Gary Germer & Associates in Portland, OR
With over 30 years in the trade, Gary Germer & Associates is Portland's leading specialist ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Apothecary Jars
- Cookie Jars
- Candy Jars
- Ceramic Bottles and Jars and Jugs
- Mid-Century Modern Bottles and Jars and Jugs
- Ball Jars
- Rustic Bottles and Jars and Jugs
- Spice Jars
- Canning Jars
- Coffee Jars
- Decorative Jars
- White Bottles and Jars and Jugs
- Country Bottles and Jars and Jugs
- Gray Bottles and Jars and Jugs
- Storage Jars
- Cream Bottles and Jars and Jugs
- Pottery Bottles and Jars and Jugs
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.