1915 Original British Tobacco Poster, Soldiers and Sailors Tobacco Fund
This is truly one of the most magnificent posters I have had in the gallery - now, or ever. Despite the ...
moreThis is truly one of the most magnificent posters I have had in the gallery - now, or ever. Despite the fact that it is in black and white (or perhaps because it is bereft of color) it is as powerful as any poster, large or small, like any other, I have seen. The message is simple, and in our tobacco intolerant times, a little dated. But imagine yourself back almost a hundred years when smoking was one of the few simple pleasures "our boys at the front" could take with them.
Setting aside the text altogether and looking at the image, you have a group of soldiers enjoying a smoke in a display of comradeship. On the lower right, the young men leave happily to war; their bayonets slung over their arms, ready - no, willing - to go off to certain death. To the left, in the background is the cathedral going up in smoke (yes, yes, I get the irony...) It is quite a masterpiece.
Because the poster is unsigned, I initially had a hard time finding its provenance, but like all posters, it has a history and a story: it was produced by a very well known and quite famous British artist by the name of Frank Brangwyn. According to Wikipedia: "Sir Frank William Brangwyn RA RWS RBA (12 May 1867 – 11 June 1956) was an Anglo-Welsh artist, painter, water colorist, virtuoso engraver and illustrator, and progressive designer." less
- 40ʺW × 0.1ʺD × 56ʺH
- Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- This poster is in very good condition! Ready to be framed This poster is in very good condition! Ready to be framed less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
L'Affichiste in Stowe, VT
Karen Etingin opened her Montreal gallery, L'Affichiste, ten years ago after deciding to turn ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Advertisement Posters
- Art Nouveau Posters
- Band Posters
- Black Posters
- Circus Posters
- Classroom Posters
- Concert Posters
- Contemporary Posters
- Engraving Posters
- Movie Posters
- Music Posters
- Psychedelic Posters
- Retro Posters
- Rock Posters
- Safety Posters
- Science Posters
- Sculpture Materials Posters
- Travel Posters
- White Posters
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.