Antique Parquetry Doors with Transom Window
An imposing set of antique doors with dark wood and carved and parquetry detailing, a stylized transom window. These have ...
moreAn imposing set of antique doors with dark wood and carved and parquetry detailing, a stylized transom window. These have elements of different styles, a bit Rococo, a bit Victorian, a bit Art Nouveau. The interior (more plain side) is very evocative of Art Nouveau, the exterior side has carved flourishes in a mix of styles, including a stylized Rococo scallop shell motif with floral scroll edge, atop that sections with a cut diamond pattern, and above those a section of classical moulding motif ending in an acanthus type scroll. The doors together are approximately 47.5“ wide, x 128“ tall at center x 124.5“ tall at sides. Total door + transom and frame approximately 160“ tall at center. The width of the doors + frame measured across the door section is approximately 54.5", there is a portion where the frame is slightly wider than this at the top sides of the transom. All measurements are approximate, please allow for this, the depth measurement below is a reasonable estimate. The wood is a beautifully grained hardwood.
Please excuse the temporary cross braces seen across the interior side of these doors, they are just temporary bracing to keep these together while they aren't installed. These have been stored for a very long time and these braces were on them.
This has several gouges in the wood on the left door (as seen from the ornate side). The acanthus leaf curl decoration is worn down but has been finessed to be subtle (see left door near top, compare to one on other door. The bottom of one of the doors/ casing is a bit gnarled (see detail from below), it will need to be filled with wood putty or cut down, wood putty should work fine though. A little bit of wood missing off of the tips of the floral flourish at the inside edges of the shell motif (see the bottom tips of these in detail photos, you can sort of see a ghost of what was there on the door). The transom window is partially broken out/ cracked, it is missing some of the trim that holds the windows in on the transom. This has expansion cracks on the doors along the joint and a missing piece of trim at the center where these meet at the top of the doors (see between and above the carved details). There is a bit of other damage here and there to the wood, but nothing too substantial. On the non ornate side there are various holes and little bits of damage from where other hardware used to be. This could be remedied with new hardware that covers over this, even just some large brass push plates would work. All in all, this set of doors needs some restoration and work. These are dusty and as found.
These have brass hardware including a mail slot and hand knocker, brass bar handles. The hardware does not appear to be original to this, but its not clear when it was added or where it came from. I have not seen the back of these, but the finishing and patina on the mail slot makes me think these were probably vintage reproductions added to this antique door set. You can see it sits a bit off on these, and has been bolted on with bolts exposed on the other side of the doors. It seems appropriate but would need to be finessed a bit to work. If you covered over the nuts and bolts on the other side with an appropriate brass piece they would probably look right. There are hardware guides left from a vertical bar bolt (the type that slots into the floor) but the bar itself is missing. Other bits of hardware were added to these.
This was found in a horde of architectural antiques, please check out my shop for more great pieces from this collection!
If you think this set may be right for you but would like to see more detail shots, please let me know and I will arrange to send them to you through Chairish. less
- 54.5ʺW × 3ʺD × 160ʺH
- Condition Notes
- Needs Work - Great bones, but will need some work Needs Work - Great bones, but will need some work less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Arts Lapis in Sterling, CO
We offer an ever changing selection of art, objects and miscellany. Please visit us often ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Antique Doors
- Art Nouveau Doors & Gates
- Barn Doors
- Brown Doors & Gates
- Cabinet Doors
- Cellar Doors
- Closet Doors
- Country Doors
- Double Doors
- Entry Doors
- Exterior Doors
- French Doors
- Front Doors
- Interior Doors
- Patio Doors
- Pocket Doors
- Screen Doors
- Sliding Doors
- Traditional Doors & Gates
- Victorian Doors & Gates
- Wood Doors & Gates
- Wooden Doors
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.