1916 Vanished Towers & Chimes of Flanders, 1st Edition Book
This product is no longer available.
Vanished Towers and Chimes of Flanders, described and pictured by George Wharton Edwards (Penn Publishing, 1916, first edition), chronicles some ...
moreVanished Towers and Chimes of Flanders, described and pictured by George Wharton Edwards (Penn Publishing, 1916, first edition), chronicles some of the lost architecture of Belgium. Published in the midst of the German occupation of Belgium during World War I, the book describes various Belgian churches, carillons (or chimes), and towns that were damaged or utterly destroyed during the war.
The book is hard back, with a green cloth-covered cover imprinted in gold, red, and black, with an illustration of the church at Ypres. The ornate title page faces a lovely illustration.
The book includes 30 charming plates, many of them color, of the architecture, with the author's descriptions of the history and his adventures in the towns and countryside. Each plate is faced by a sheet of tissue printed with its caption. The book also includes a foreword, chapter "About the Belgians," and index.
The book is in very good condition overall. The cover has some edge and corner wear, a little wear to the gold, but a tight binding. There is a small tear on the front endpapers at the bottom, a larger separation at the back, and separations between a few forms. One endpaper has a gift inscription in pencil (including names and London 1916 Christmas). On the back endpaper, there's a small sticker from a New York bookseller. less
- 8ʺW × 1.5ʺD × 11ʺH
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Very Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Very Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
Callooh Callay Vintage in Kirkwood, MO
Callooh Callay offers an eclectic mix of vintage home decor, art pottery, Chinoiserie, industrial decor ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.