Early New England Gravestone and Marker Rubbings - Set of 3
Offered are three vintage framed early American granite marker rubbings from Vermont gravestones and an abduction stone marker. They stand ...
moreOffered are three vintage framed early American granite marker rubbings from Vermont gravestones and an abduction stone marker. They stand apart for their early American folk art ornamentation and the detailed inscriptions that give a glimpse into the lives of early Americans.
The rubbings were executed on premium Aqaba paper with quality rubbing wax.
#1 Woodstock, Vermont, Captain Israel Richardson
This gravestone rubbing reads “In memory of Captain Israel Richardson”. Captain Richardson was one of the earliest residents of the town of Woodstock, Vermont. He built the Captain Isreal Richardson tavern which survives as one of the oldest buildings in Woodstock. He was also a Universalist and one of the founders of the Universalist Church of Woodstock.
sight 17½ by 22¾ inches
frame 18¼ by 23¾ inches
#2 Rockingham, Vermont, Eunice Pain, June 10, 1805 (age 16)
This framed gravestone rubbing reads “In memory of Eunice Pain”. It states “Behold and read a mournful fate, Two lovers were sincere, And one is left without a mate.” This marker is located at the Old Rockingham Meeting House cemetery in Rockingham, Vermont.
sight 18½ by 22¾ inches
frame 19¼ by 23⅝ inches
#3 Felchville, Vermont, Johnson, Laberee and Farnsworth families (abducted by Indians), August 31, 1754
The last is a rubbing of an abduction stone, describing the events which occurred after several families were abducted by Abenaki Indians in 1754. The stone reads “this is the spot that the Indians Encamped the night after they took Mr. Johnson and Family Mr. Leberee and Farnsworth. And Mrs. Johnson was delivered of her child half a mile up this Brook”. The families were abducted in Charlestown, NH and were sent up towards Canada during which trek Mrs. Johnson gave birth. Years later in 1799 Mrs. Johnson was able to return to the spot and erect this marker.
18½ by 22½ inches
19¼ by 23¼ inches
The rubbings are all in great condition and are neatly framed in minimal round silver wood frames behind reflection control glass. less
- 19.25ʺW × 0.6ʺD × 23.75ʺH
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Typical Delivery Time: 7-14 days.
A.W. Johnston & Co. in Savannah, GA
- Super Seller 2019
Here in Savannah we are rich in material culture. America’s first planned city in ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Pencil Drawings
- Charcoal Drawings
- Horse Drawings
- Black and White Drawings
- Ink Drawings
- Landscape Drawings
- Music Drawings
- Folk Art Drawings
- Girl Drawings
- Bird Drawings
- Dog Drawings
- Eye Drawings
- Animal Drawings
- Line Drawings
- Mountain Drawings
- Paper Drawings
- White Drawings
- Car Drawings
- Cartoon Drawings
- Drawings in Savannah
- Flower Drawings
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.