Knoll Associates Saarinen Tulip Chairs - A Pair
This product is no longer available.
These are original Knoll Associates Saarinen designed Tulip Chairs. Part of the 1958 Pedestal Collection.
Knoll introduced the Pedestal Collection ... moreThese are original Knoll Associates Saarinen designed Tulip Chairs. Part of the 1958 Pedestal Collection.
Knoll introduced the Pedestal Collection by Eero Saarinen -- an idea he had first discussed with Hans in 1954 to reduce the visual noise created by typical four-legged chairs or, as he put it, a system to "clear up the slum of legs."
The chair has the smooth lines of modernism and was experimental with materials for its time. The chair is considered a classic of industrial design.
The chair is often considered "space age" for its futuristic use of curves and artificial materials.
The base of the tulip chair is of cast aluminum with a rilsan-coated finish to match the upper shell, giving the appearance of a single unit. The upper shell is molded fiberglass, with a reinforced, plastic bonded finish. The upholstered foam cushion is removable with Velcro fastening.
The stickers applied to Knoll furniture pieces are a helpful tool in determining the date and authenticity of a particular piece. In the late '40s and early '50s Knoll occupied showrooms on Madison Avenue. After 1961 Knoll's offices were located at 320 Park Ave., and in 1970 they moved to 745 Fifth Ave. "The logo evolved over the years," says Gersh, "so we look to ensure that the logo is correct for the time period of the piece and that the address matches."
Looking at the sleek base designed for this purpose is key in determining a Tulip piece's authenticity. "These have a cast aluminum base whereas many replicas have a metal base that's not quite as sturdy," says Gersh. "Because it's cast, originals have one piece of metal whereas knockoffs might have a seam. Also, you would never see screws under the base of an original chair. Originals are also made of fiberglass, whereas more recent reproductions are probably not." Signs of use are another important factor. "Plastic has kind of a patina when it's been used over time," notes Gersh. "These chairs don't look brand new, which they shouldn't; their use is consistent with their age."
These are in good condition with scuffs that can be easily removed. No chips or dings. These are obviously not the original cushions. They can be purchased online, however. less
- 22ʺW × 20ʺD × 31ʺH
- Space Age
- Eero Saarinen
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
Jeremy R. in Littleton, CO
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Aluminum Dining Chairs
- Blue Dining Chairs
- Comfortable Dining Chairs
- Danish Dining Chairs
- Denver Dining Chairs
- Dining Chairs with Arms
- Farmhouse Dining Chairs
- Folding Dining Chairs
- H. G. Knoll and Associates Dining Chairs
- High Back Dining Chairs
- Metal Dining Chairs
- Mid-Century Modern Dining Chairs
- Reupholstered Dining Chairs
- Rolling Dining Chairs
- Round Back Dining Chairs
- Space Age Dining Chairs
- Swivel Dining Chairs
- Tall Dining Chairs
- Tufted Dining Chairs
- Upholstered Dining Chairs
- White Dining Chairs
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.