- Room Accents & Accessories
- Wall Accents
- Antique Original 1800s Botanical Prints - Set of 2
Antique Original 1800s Botanical Prints - Set of 2
This product is no longer available
These antique hand-colored botanical engravings date back to the 1800s and would look great framed on your wall! Picture these ...
These antique hand-colored botanical engravings date back to the 1800s and would look great framed on your wall! Picture these botanical prints as decor in your bedroom, living room, or home office, or as wonderful prints to add to your gallery wall.
These are genuine antique prints, not reproductions or reprints. These prints has been removed from an antique book. The reverse side is blank and there may be some traces of binding remaining.
The botanical prints are copper engravings, hand-colored, and are dated 1830. The condition of these prints is remarkable considering they are nearly 200 years old, with strong plate marks and dates. There is little or no foxing, but there may be light text offset. Prints have characteristic good plate marks on wove paper that is creamy in color.
You will receive the two prints pictured: Mr. Sellow's Lantana, and Various Leaved Begonia.
These Curtis prints are particularly prized for their lavish, beautifully hand-colored large illustrations. They measure approximately 6 inches wide by 9.5 inches tall. Prints are accompanied by the relevant original descriptive text.
William Curtis began publication of the Botanical Magazine in February 1787 and continued almost without interruption for 160 years. The images were engraved and hand-coloured by many artists including Sydenham Edwards, William Graves, James Sowerby, John Curtis, William Jackson Hooker, W.H. Fitch, Matilda Smith, Lillian Snelling and Stella Rose Craig. The plates are known for their fine detail and delicate hand coloring. The prints are all copper engravings to Volume 70 & then stone or zinc lithography until the introduction of color printing in 1948. It is the longest running botanical magazine and was entirely hand colored until 1948. References: Blunt (1994) pp 211 - 217, Great Flower Books pp 156 - 157, Nissen BPI 2350, Staflue 1290.
- 6.0ʺW × 0.25ʺD × 9.5ʺH
- Excellent Minor wear consistent with age and history
- Shipping Options
- Free Shipping in the continental U.S.
- Free Local Pickup in Altadena, CA
Legal Miss Sunshine in Altadena, CA
Andrea of Legal Miss Sunshine is an independent dealer specializing in vintage posters, prints, targets ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the buyer's location.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about 3-6 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- If additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs, buyers should make sure to plan accordingly.
- Returns & Cancellations
- Except for Local Pickup and Local Delivery, buyers have 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item(s) and contact firstname.lastname@example.org if they wish to return an item. There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable). Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.