Elbert Hubbard Bookends
What a find! A pair of vintage brown chalkware bookends displaying Roycrofter Elbert Hubbard, reading and sitting on a pile ...
moreWhat a find! A pair of vintage brown chalkware bookends displaying Roycrofter Elbert Hubbard, reading and sitting on a pile of books, together with a vintage copy of his 1923 posthumous book, 'Elbert Hubbard's Scrap Book.'
The sturdy vintage bookends, composed of chalk (plaster) and the Art Nouveau hardcover book (originally 1923) are uncommon together. But here, they make a warm and wonderful accessory for any 1920s setting or for any shelf fully of admirable old books. Both the bookends and the book are in very good condition. The illustrated 228-page book is in unread condition, with just minor wear to the spine and corners. Originally published in 1923, this is an undated reprint - likely from the early 1940s (an undated wartime edition). The bookends also are in very good, undamaged condition - no chips or dings. The bottoms are felt-lined! They are likely from the early 1940s - perhaps Hubbard had another popular moment back then.
Today, Hubbard is best-known as the founder of the Roycroft artisan community in East Aurora, New York. An early pioneer in the Arts & Crafts movement, Hubbard wrote book("A Message to Garcia") and also published them alongside the metal and Mission Style artists in the Roycroft community. The Scrap Book was published after his death aboard the Lusitania in 1915, It is a compilation works by some of the greats in literature, and poetry; Benjamin Franklin, Henry Ward Beecher, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Robert Louis Stevenson, Mark Twain, Walt Whitman, Theodore Roosevelt, Abraham Lincoln, and many more. Published by the American Book Stratford Press (and William H. Wise), the book features Art Nouveau type and vivid orange lettering. The pictorial end papers show The Roycroft Inn. the Print Shop, The Tower and a Bronze Statue of "The Craftsman, Michelangelo" on the Roycroft lawn. less
- 9.5ʺW × 9ʺD × 9ʺH
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
The Sophisticated Reader in Los Angeles, CA
Vintage literature, art & design books, fashion magazines, decorative accessories & One-of-a-Kinds for the Sophisticated Reader.
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 5Ask the Seller / View All
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.