Circa 1910 Egyptian Revival Empire Style Mahogany Longcase Clock
This product is no longer available.
This French Empire style longcase clock is crafted of the finest solid mahogany and mahogany veneers, the deep ruby red ...
more This French Empire style longcase clock is crafted of the finest solid mahogany and mahogany veneers, the deep ruby red of the patinated surface glowing under layers of waxes like a polished jewel. It is delightfully embellished with a series of quite fine gilded metal mounts of classical and Egyptian inspiration, the latter being particularly highly sought after by collectors of the period. The triangular crest is solid oak secondary with mahogany veneers and a cockbead molding round the edges, the center mounted with a classical scene of a Putto led in his chariot by two horses through the swirling clouds of the heavens. The crest is easily removable the top, resting loosely in the case over round dowels.
The clock case is in two parts, the upper clock case resting on the lower pedestal stand. The clock case is framed in two tapered pillars, each capped by finely cast Egyptian masks and flowing anthemion mounts, the columns terminating over tiny gilt feet. The clock face is symmetrically detailed with foliate spandrels around a white porcelain face with black painted Roman numerals and carefully chased brass at the center and around the edges. A mask of Dionysus hangs as the pendulum in an original wavy glass window. Side doors on either side of the clock open over original hinges to allow access to the clock without moving it. The back of the clock also boasts an upholstered door, opening to broadly reveal the works and interior.
The clock rests over a pedestal lower section, crafted of solid mahogany pillars crested by cast bronze palmettos. The back of the clock is heavily oxidized, nearly black in some areas. An original label on the back of the clock reads "Imported from Paris by RJ Horner & Co, Furniture Makers, 61, 63, 65 West 23rd Street, NEW YORK."
This is an absolutely gorgeous work of art. For any serious collector of French Empire style furnishings and decorative arts, this is an unusual and very fine selection.
Light veneer losses and cracking, some wax color matching to areas of loss. Losses around upper molding of the pedestal, notably to the left corner. Surface behind clock face with some curving. Movement appears complete but not tested. Some fading to lettering on clock face. Later winding key. Fabric on interior with tears, losses to veneer inside of case; some rosettes and mounts may have been replaced but it is difficult to know for certain. less
- 24.0ʺW × 14.0ʺD × 86.13ʺH
- Fair Has lived a "full life" and has a distressed look with noticeable wear
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
- Shipping Options
- White Glove Shipping available in continental U.S.
- Free Local Pickup in Shippensburg, PA
- Ask the seller if Local Delivery is available
SILLA, LTD. "Fine Antiques, Art and Sculpture" in Shippensburg, PA
Silla, Ltd. is located in the historic downtown of Shippensburg, PA. Our collection focuses on ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the locations of both the buyer and the seller.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about three to six weeks after pickup (pickup may take up to 10 business days).
- Please note that pickups may take longer in some locations where white glove pickup and delivery are less frequent. In some cases delivery can take up to 8 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days business days after the item ships (which may take up to three business days).
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person.
- You will receive a Pickup Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at the time of pickup.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location.
- The buyer will receive a Delivery Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at time of delivery.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Buyers should plan accordingly if additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- White Glove & Flat Rate Shipping
- Buyers have up to 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item and email firstname.lastname@example.org to initiate a return.
- For Flat Rate Shipping returns, buyers will be responsible for packaging and shipping the return within three business days after return shipping label (pre-paid by Chairish) is received.
- There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable).
- Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.