Circa 1910 Egyptian Revival Empire Style Mahogany Longcase Clock
This product is no longer available.
This French Empire style longcase clock is crafted of the finest solid mahogany and mahogany veneers, the deep ruby red ...
more This French Empire style longcase clock is crafted of the finest solid mahogany and mahogany veneers, the deep ruby red of the patinated surface glowing under layers of waxes like a polished jewel. It is delightfully embellished with a series of quite fine gilded metal mounts of classical and Egyptian inspiration, the latter being particularly highly sought after by collectors of the period. The triangular crest is solid oak secondary with mahogany veneers and a cockbead molding round the edges, the center mounted with a classical scene of a Putto led in his chariot by two horses through the swirling clouds of the heavens. The crest is easily removable the top, resting loosely in the case over round dowels.
The clock case is in two parts, the upper clock case resting on the lower pedestal stand. The clock case is framed in two tapered pillars, each capped by finely cast Egyptian masks and flowing anthemion mounts, the columns terminating over tiny gilt feet. The clock face is symmetrically detailed with foliate spandrels around a white porcelain face with black painted Roman numerals and carefully chased brass at the center and around the edges. A mask of Dionysus hangs as the pendulum in an original wavy glass window. Side doors on either side of the clock open over original hinges to allow access to the clock without moving it. The back of the clock also boasts an upholstered door, opening to broadly reveal the works and interior.
The clock rests over a pedestal lower section, crafted of solid mahogany pillars crested by cast bronze palmettos. The back of the clock is heavily oxidized, nearly black in some areas. An original label on the back of the clock reads "Imported from Paris by RJ Horner & Co, Furniture Makers, 61, 63, 65 West 23rd Street, NEW YORK."
This is an absolutely gorgeous work of art. For any serious collector of French Empire style furnishings and decorative arts, this is an unusual and very fine selection.
Light veneer losses and cracking, some wax color matching to areas of loss. Losses around upper molding of the pedestal, notably to the left corner. Surface behind clock face with some curving. Movement appears complete but not tested. Some fading to lettering on clock face. Later winding key. Fabric on interior with tears, losses to veneer inside of case; some rosettes and mounts may have been replaced but it is difficult to know for certain. less
- 24ʺW × 14ʺD × 86.13ʺH
- Condition Notes
- Fair - Has lived a "full life" and has a distressed look with noticeable wear Fair - Has lived a "full life" and has a distressed look with noticeable wear less
SILLA, LTD. "Fine Antiques, Art and Sculpture" in Shippensburg, PA
Silla, Ltd. is located in the historic downtown of Shippensburg, PA. Our collection focuses on ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.