- Casegoods & Storage
- Storage Cabinets & Cupboards
- 20th Century Marble Topped Boulle Ebonised Pier S…
20th Century Marble Topped Boulle Ebonised Pier Side Cabinet
This is a stunning vintage Louis XVI style Boulle pier cabinet dating from the late 20th century. This ornate cabinet … moreThis is a stunning vintage Louis XVI style Boulle pier cabinet dating from the late 20th century. This ornate cabinet is ebonised and decorated with cut brass inlaid Boulle with exquisite ormolu mounts and has a beautiful "verde antico" green marble top. The cupboard door opens to reveal a large storage space with a central shelf. There is no mistaking the unique quality and design, which is certain to make it a talking point in your home. As such, this cabinet is sure to take pride of place in your dining room or reception. Condition: In excellent condition, please see photos for confirmation of condition. Dimensions in cm: Height 107 x Width 95 x Depth 46 Dimensions in inches: Height 3 foot, 6 inches x Width 3 feet, 1 inch x Depth 1 foot, 6 inches André-Charles Boulle (1642 – 1732), was the French cabinetmaker who is generally considered to be the preeminent artist in the field of marquetry. His fame in marquetry led to his name being given to a fashion of inlaying known as Boulle (or in 19th-century Britain, Buhl work). Boulle appears to have been originally a painter, since the first payment to him by the crown of which there is any record (1669) specifies ouvrages de peinture. He was employed for many years at Versailles, where the mirrored walls, the floors of wood mosaic, the inlaid paneling and the marquetery furniture in the Cabinet du Dauphin were regarded as his most remarkable work. These rooms were long since dismantled and their contents dispersed, but Boulle's drawings for the work are in the Musée des Arts Décoratifs, Paris. His royal commissions were numerous, as we learn both from the Comptes des B timents du Roi and from the correspondence of Louvois. Not only the most magnificent of French monarchs, but foreign princes and the great nobles and financiers of his own country crowded to him with commissions, and the mot of the abbé de Marolles, Boulle y lourne en ovale, has become a stock quotation in the literature of French cabinetmaking. Ormolu (from French 'or moulu', signifying ground or pounded gold) is an 18th-century English term for applying finely ground, high-carat gold in a mercury amalgam to an object of bronze.The mercury is driven off in a kiln leaving behind a gold-coloured veneer known as 'gilt bronze'. The manufacture of true ormolu employs a process known as mercury-gilding or fire-gilding, in which a solution of nitrate of mercury is applied to a piece of copper, brass, or bronze, followed by the application of an amalgam of gold and mercury. The item was then exposed to extreme heat until the mercury burned off and the gold remained, adhered to the metal object. No true ormolu was produced in France after around 1830 because legislation had outlawed the use of mercury. Therefore, other techniques were used instead but nothing surpasses the original mercury-firing ormolu method for sheer beauty and richness of colour. Electroplating is the most common modern technique. Ormolu techniques are essentially the same as those used on silver, to produce silver-gilt (also known as vermeil). less
- 37.4ʺW × 18.11ʺD × 42.13ʺH
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Unknown, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Good — This vintage item remains fully functional, but it shows sign of age through scuffs, dings, faded finishes, minimal … moreGood — This vintage item remains fully functional, but it shows sign of age through scuffs, dings, faded finishes, minimal upholstery defects, or visible repairs. less
Return Policy - All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
- Pantry Storage Cabinets
- Tall Storage Cabinets with Doors
- Narrow Storage Cabinets
- Small Storage Cabinets
- Large Storage Cabinets
- 2 Door Storage Cabinets
- Media Storage Cabinets
- Rolling Storage Cabinets
- New and Custom Walnut Storage Cabinets and Cupboards
- New and Custom Storage Cabinets and Cupboards
- New and Custom Asian Storage Cabinets and Cupboards
- New and Custom Industrial Storage Cabinets and Cupboards
- New and Custom Lacquer Storage Cabinets and Cupboards
- New and Custom Metal Storage Cabinets and Cupboards
- New and Custom Mid-Century Modern Storage Cabinets and Cupboards
- New and Custom Rustic Storage Cabinets and Cupboards
- New and Custom Storage Cabinets and Cupboards in Los Angeles
The Chairish Buyer Guarantee ensures that you have complete peace of mind when
making a purchase on Chairish in the event that your item:
- Does not arrive
- Is broken during transit
- Is materially different than what you purchased
- On approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales are final once buyer or buyer’s agent takes possession of an item.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Local rates are available on most items where the delivery location is within 50 miles.
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks.
- In-Home Delivery
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.
- International Parcel
- International parcel shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged through Fedex
- You will be updated with a tracking number once shipping is booked
- International parcel shipments can take anywhere from 1 - 6 weeks to be delivered
- In-Home Expedited International Shipping
- In-Home Expedited International Shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged by Metropolitan and will be delivered to your room of choice
- In-home expedited shipments can take anywhere from 3-7 weeks to be delivered
- Expedited International Shipping
- Expedited international shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- You will need tools and/or equipment to open the crate; Fedex will not open the crate for you
- You will be updated with a tracking number once your item has been booked for air shipment
- Expedited international shipments can take anywhere from 2 - 4 weeks to be delivered
- International Shipping
- International shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged through Schumacher Cargo and automatically come with in-home delivery
- You will receive a tracking number once your item has cleared customs