Giovanni Morghen, Ancient Roman Fresco, Original Etching, 18th-Century
Ancient roman fresco from the series "antiquities of herculaneum", is an original etching on paper realized by giovanni morghen in … moreAncient roman fresco from the series "antiquities of herculaneum", is an original etching on paper realized by giovanni morghen in the 18th century. Signed on the plate. Good conditions except for some minor stains. The etching belongs to the print suite “antiquities of herculaneum exposed” (original title: “le antichità di ercolano esposte”), an eight-volume volume of engravings of the finds from the excavation of the ruins of herculaneum in the kingdom of naples (now campania, italy). It was published between 1757 and 1792 by the regia stamperia, and copies were delivered to selected recipients across europe. Despite the title, the antiquity of herculaneum shows objects from all the excavations undertaken by the bourbons in the gulf of naples. These include pompeii, stabia and two sites of herculaneum: resina and portici. The bourbon king carlo appointed fifteen scholars creating a new “herculaneum academy” to study the artifacts and publish the results of the archaeological excavations of the sites. The engravings are of high quality and the accompanying text shows a large scholarship. They were realized by 25 prominent artists involved by the king to prepare drawings and engravings on the finds, among which we can find giovanni elia morghen, carlo nolli, luigi vanvitelli and giovanni battista casanova. The “antiquities” was designed more to amaze readers with the quality of the objects in the collection of the king of naples than to be used in research., following and increasing the interest of 18th century society for the classical culture and art in particular. Through the exaltation of the classical concept of proportions and harmony, the book was of inspiration to the neoclassical movement in europe, giving artists and decorators access to a huge shop of hellenistic motifs. Ref.: national gallery (washington), mark j. Millard architectural, iv (2000), no. 1; l. Garcia y garcia, nova bibliotheca pompeiana (2 v., 1998); royal institute of british architects, british architectural library \. Early printed books, 1 (1994), no. 112. U. Pannuti, 'incisori e disegnatori della stamperia reale di napoli nel secolo xviii: la pubblicazione delle antichità di ercolano', in xenia antiqua, 9 (2000), p. 151-178; v. Trombetta, 'l'edizione de le antichità di ercolano esposte' in rendiconti dell'accademia di archeologia, lettere e belle arti di napoli , 59 (1984), p.151-172. less
- 12.6ʺW × 0.79ʺD × 17.32ʺH
- Art Subjects
- Still Life
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Unknown, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Good — This vintage item remains fully functional, but it shows sign of age through scuffs, dings, faded finishes, minimal … moreGood — This vintage item remains fully functional, but it shows sign of age through scuffs, dings, faded finishes, minimal upholstery defects, or visible repairs\. Please note that an additional handling period of up to 4 weeks may apply to this item less
Return Policy - All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
The Chairish Buyer Guarantee ensures that you have complete peace of mind when
making a purchase on Chairish in the event that your item:
- Does not arrive
- Is broken during transit
- Is materially different than what you purchased
- On approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales are final once buyer or buyer’s agent takes possession of an item.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Local rates are available on most items where the delivery location is within 50 miles.
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks.
- In-Home Delivery
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.
- International Parcel
- International parcel shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged through Fedex
- You will be updated with a tracking number once shipping is booked
- International parcel shipments can take anywhere from 1 - 6 weeks to be delivered
- In-Home Expedited International Shipping
- In-Home Expedited International Shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged by Metropolitan and will be delivered to your room of choice
- In-home expedited shipments can take anywhere from 3-7 weeks to be delivered
- Expedited International Shipping
- Expedited international shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- You will need tools and/or equipment to open the crate; Fedex will not open the crate for you
- You will be updated with a tracking number once your item has been booked for air shipment
- Expedited international shipments can take anywhere from 2 - 4 weeks to be delivered
- International Shipping
- International shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged through Schumacher Cargo and automatically come with in-home delivery
- You will receive a tracking number once your item has cleared customs