Mexican Hand-Carved Wooden Tray
Lacquerware refers to decorated objects made out of wood or often dried gourds. This folk art form incorporates elements of ...
moreLacquerware refers to decorated objects made out of wood or often dried gourds. This folk art form incorporates elements of pre-Hispanic, European and Chinese traditions which came together in colonial Mexico and continue to develop today.
First, the wood or gourd surface is coated with a mixture of chía seed oil, made from the seeds of the Salvia plant, and aje, a waxy fat from an insect. Then a layer of earth is placed on top to absorb the oil. This “earth varnish” or lacquer is smoothed out and polished with a stone and the heel of the hand. This process may be repeated a number of times. Pigments can be added to create the background color.
Recently, artists have begun to mix the background color in with the oil and have applied it with a brush. After it is dried, which may take several days, the decoration is applied. There are three types of decoration, painted, incised and inlaid. Painted lacquerware employs pigments mixed with chía oil and applied with a brush to create pictorial scenes and patterns. Incised lacquerware utilizes negative space and multiple layers of colored lacquer. Decorative motifs are carved away to reveal another color of lacquer. Inlaid lacquerware is also carved. Deeper levels of the wood or gourd are revealed and then meticulously painted. All three techniques have the same final step, another layer of chía oil and/or aje are applied to the surface which is rubbed with a cloth to create a luster and protect the decorations. less
- 17ʺW × 19ʺD × 3ʺH
- Condition Notes
Teterete Mexican Arts + Fine Crafts in Whittier, CA
Teterete and other animals representations are commonly used on art-crafts and art-work made by the ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.