Vintage RMS Queen Elizabeth Cruise Line Deck Chair
This product is no longer available.
For sale is this amazing piece of cruise line history. It is vintage c. 1960s deck chair from the English ...
moreFor sale is this amazing piece of cruise line history. It is vintage c. 1960s deck chair from the English RMS Queen Elizabeth. This chair is in fair to good condition and works great. Sturdy, solid and not wobbly. One small crack on underside noted but not visible when sitting up correctly. Crack is surface and does not go through wood. Weathered patina untouched. This was a chair for 1st class passengers only (see photo). Brass hardware (see photos).
About the RMS Queen Elizabeth:
The RMS Queen Elizabeth was an ocean liner operated by the Cunard Line (after its merger with the White Star Line). Along with her sister ship Queen Mary, she provided luxury liner and immigrant service between Southampton, England (UK), and New York, New York (US), via Cherbourg, France on Continental Europe. She was also contracted for over 20 years to carry the Royal Mail, thus enabling her to carry the prestigious Royal Mail Ship (RMS) designation, as the second half of the two ships' weekly express service.
While being constructed in the mid-1930s by John Brown and Company at Clydebank, Scotland, she was known as Hull 552 but when launched, on 27 September 1938, she was named in honour of Queen Elizabeth, who was then Queen Consort to King George VI and in 1952 became the Queen Mother. With a design that improved upon that of Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth was a slightly larger ship, the largest passenger liner ever built at that time and for 56 years thereafter. She also has the distinction of being the largest-ever riveted ship by gross tonnage. She first entered service in February 1940 as a troopship in World War II, and it was not until October 1946 that she served in her intended role as an ocean liner.
With the decline in the popularity of the transatlantic route, both ships were replaced by the smaller, more economical Queen Elizabeth 2 in 1969. Queen Mary was retired from service on 9 December 1967, and was sold to the city of Long Beach, California, US. Queen Elizabeth was sold to a succession of buyers, most of whom had adventurous and unsuccessful plans for her. Finally she was sold to a Hong Kong businessman, Tung Chao Yung, who intended to convert her into a floating university cruise ship. In 1972, while undergoing refurbishment in Hong Kong harbour, she caught fire under mysterious circumstances and was capsized by the water used to fight the fire. In 1973, her wreck was deemed an obstruction, and she was partially scrapped where she lay. less
- 24ʺW × 22ʺD × 53ʺH
- Condition Notes
- Fair - Has lived a "full life" and has a distressed look with noticeable wear Fair - Has lived a "full life" and has a distressed look with noticeable wear less
A Main St. Vintage Affair in Grass Valley, CA
From Northern California we offer the finest in vintage, antiques and unique one-of-a-kind pieces. Specializing ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Accent Chairs for Living Room
- Accent Chairs with Arms
- Animal Print Accent Chairs
- Armless Accent Chairs
- Bedroom Accent Chairs
- Black and White Accent Chairs
- Blue and White Accent Chairs
- Brown Side Chairs
- Cow Hide Accent Chairs
- Floral Accent Chairs
- High Back Accent Chairs
- Mid-Century Modern Side Chairs
- Paris Accent Chairs
- Patterned Accent Chairs
- Reclining Accent Chairs
- Round Accent Chairs
- Rustic Side Chairs
- Small Accent Chairs
- Striped Accent Chairs
- Studded Accent Chairs
- Swivel Accent Chairs
- Tufted Accent Chairs
- Unique Accent Chairs
- Upholstered Accent Chairs
- Vintage Accent Chairs
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.