California Shoreline, Oil Painting by A. Dzigurski
California Shoreline Seascape. Beautiful oil painting on canvas by Alexander Dzigurski.
Size 23" x 27"
Alexander Dzigurski (1911-95) who is ... more California Shoreline Seascape. Beautiful oil painting on canvas by Alexander Dzigurski.
Size 23" x 27"
Alexander Dzigurski (1911-95) who is known for his seascapes, landscapes, and some portraiture, is associated with the art of California, although he was born in the farming community of Backa, located in Stari Becej, then part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The son of a wheat farmer, he was one of four siblings. Alexander's father considered his son's artistic desires an unproductive pursuit; contrarily, his mother was most interested in her son's talent, and understood her son's wishes to extend his abilities beyond the farm. With assistance from the Serbian Church, he went to Belgrade, where he lived at the Rakovica Monastery and attended the School of Art. He painted portraits for private families and did restorations of old iconostases as means of support. After graduating at age 18 in 1929, he continued his studies at Munich's Academy of Art. Then, for two years he volunteered in the King's Navy (Kingdom of Yugoslavia) beginning in 1939. His experiences provided his first works of his sea paintings. After this military period, he married his high school sweetheart. A daughter was born in 1933, and he soon opened "Zograf", his first studio. In 1941, Dzigurski was activated into the Yugoslav army, communications division. Several weeks later, Hitler's army took most of his unit prisoner. Dzigurski managed to escape. Yugoslavia continued to be dissolved by the Germans, thus forcing Dzigurski to relinquish his successful studio and he departed to Italy.
In 1949, the Dzigurski's departed Naples and arrived in New York harbor aboard the "Marine Jumper". His former Yugoslav professor introduced the family into the Serbian Orthodox Church community. Familiar with Alexander's work, the Bishop had him paint icons (traditionally Byzantine) for a small memorial chapel in Pennsylvania. He would later be commissioned to paint the altars and interiors of nine Serbian Orthodox churches between 1951 and 1960. His beautiful works were not signed, remaining anonymous like most of the orthodox ecclesiastical painters before him. Dzigurski viewed his art as a sacred craft, excluding the intervention of human inventions. By about 1952, Alexander settled his family in California and began to paint seriously, particularly along the coastlines of northern California and Oregon. In 1968, a period of depression followed the death of his wife, and he lost interest in life and his painting. While recovering from a broken arm, however, Dzigurski became fond of, and married his nurse. Renewed optimism appeared with the birth of his son, Alexander Jr., spawning vigor that could be seen in subsequent works.
His seascapes and landscapes are most realistic and have broad appeal. His extensive US travel can be seen in his works from the Smokies, the Grand Tetons, Mt. Shasta, the Rockies, Glacier National Park, New England, and other coastal areas. His paintings can be found in the Franklin Mint Museum of American Art in Pennsylvania, the Republic Bank of Dallas, The Michigan Bank of Chicago, Illinois, the Ravenswood Bank of Chicago, Illinois, and at the Caterpillar Tractor Company in Peoria, Illinois. Having become one of America's well-known artists, Alexander Dzigurski died in 1995. less
- 27ʺW × 4ʺD × 23ʺH
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
Pasadena Art Monkeys in Pasadena, CA
Welcome to Pasadena Art Monkeys ! ....our gallery is located at the Pasadena Antiques & Design, in ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.