- Room Accents & Accessories
- Decorative Bowls
- Ebony Prototype Challis Bowl by Weston Neil And...
Ebony Prototype Challis Bowl by Weston Neil Andersen
Andersen Design is an American Designer Craftsmen Studio established by Weston and Brenda Andersen in 1952 on Southport Island, Maine ...
moreAndersen Design is an American Designer Craftsmen Studio established by Weston and Brenda Andersen in 1952 on Southport Island, Maine, USA. The studio was started with a philosophy of creating hand crafted products affordable to the middle class. Andersen Design remained an American made ceramic studio when most of the western ceramic industry moved production to foreign labor markets and competed successfully in a market flooded with foreign made imports, producing a hand-made art product affordable to the middle class.
The Chalis was Weston’s last functional form design developed in the decade preceding the brain injury with which he was afflicted during the last five years of his life (1922-2015). During his younger years Weston identified with being an agnostic but in later life he came to recognize his belief in God. Although he never attended a church, Weston was philosophically involved in esoteric philosophy. During the decade when he created this last functional form design, Weston listened to audio recordings of the New Testament. Although Weston never verbally stated that the bowl has an esoteric meaning, it cannot be ignored.
Weston produced three prototypes of the Chalis, but one was broken and glued back together, leaving only two unaltered prototypes.
Weston was experimenting with variations of the foot of the Chalis. Weston often used a cut and paste technique in designing, literally cutting up slip-cast forms and pasting them together to make new ones. A mold was made of the basic form of the bowl of the Chalis while the foot is cut out of the flute vase.
A lush ebony glaze designed by Weston covers the red stoneware body. Weston also designed the recipe for the body used in slip-casting the forms.
The glaze in the bowl has some pinholes which do not distract from its beauty but are variegations which identify this particular Chalis as an object of history, a time and a place when an unusual American company was possible. We hope this unique enterprise will persevere so that future generations can participate in the engaging process of handcrafting ceramics in America, but there is no certitude today. The subtle imperfections identify this ebony Chalis as a hand-crafted prototype produced by the one of the founders of Andersen Design, Weston Neil Andersen, in the latter years of a life lived meaningfully.
The Chalis Bowl is four inches tall and six and a half inches in diameter.
All Andersen Design products begin with the raw materials of the earth and are hand-made in the USA. less
- 6.5ʺW × 3ʺD × 4ʺH
- 2000 - 2009
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- The glaze in the bowl has some pinholes which do not distract from its beauty but are variegations which identify ... moreThe glaze in the bowl has some pinholes which do not distract from its beauty but are variegations which identify this particular Chalis as an object of history, a time and a place and as individually created by Weston Neil Andersen. less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Typical Delivery Time: 7-14 days.
Andersen Design in Edgecomb, ME
Andersen Design was established on Southport Island Maine in 1952, as a designer-craftsmen studio creating ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Dough Bowls
- Mid-Century Modern Decorative Bowls
- Pedestal Bowls
- Punch Bowls
- Dragon Bowls
- Bird Bowls
- Footed Bowls
- Ceramic Decorative Bowls
- Candy Bowls
- Rice Bowls
- Black Decorative Bowls
- Modern Decorative Bowls
- Mixing Bowls
- Salad Bowls
- Fruit Bowls
- Soup Bowls
- Contemporary Decorative Bowls
- Decorative Bowls in Portland, ME
- Ebony Decorative Bowls
- Organic Modern Decorative Bowls
- Stoneware Decorative Bowls
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.