Paris Chess Club 1930 Abstract Etching
This product is no longer available.
This is an original aquatint etching of chess players in a Paris Chess Club around the 1930's. Named "Chess". It ...
moreThis is an original aquatint etching of chess players in a Paris Chess Club around the 1930's. Named "Chess". It is a limited edition on ivory wove Van Gelder Zonen Holland watermarked piece. It was published by Associated American Artists (AAA). It is a signed original etching. Technique is lift ground etching and aquatint. Signature in pencil lower right. Some age marks around the mat board but the etching is clean of foxing and age.
Framed measuring 21" by 17". Image platemark is 9 3/4 x 13"
"Joseph Margulies is without question one of the most capable of living print makers. This etching has been executed by him in what he terms the 'lift ground' medium which he has developed. It is a remarkable performance and will make a worthy addition to any fine collection." (Associated American Artists "Patrons' Supplement" Fall 1938 p.8)
Joseph Margulies was born in Vienna, Austria in 1896. He immigrated to the United States at an early age. Margulies studied at the Art Students League of New York with the printmaker Joseph Pennell (1857–1926), from 1922 to 1925. Margulies then continued his studies at the National Academy of Design, Cooper Union in New York City, and at the École des Beaux-Arts in Paris. He also apprenticed with Maynard Waltner in Vienna. Margulies died in 1986.
- 17ʺW × 2ʺD × 21ʺH
- Art Deco
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
The Longacre Flea in Grass Valley, CA
We believe in living with strong design pieces that have history and tell a story ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.