Johannes Carstensen Still Life of Apples
Signed lower right ‘Joh. C.’ and painted circa 1950.
Johannes Carstensen first studied at the Copenhagen Art Academy under Aksel ... moreSigned lower right ‘Joh. C.’ and painted circa 1950.
Johannes Carstensen first studied at the Copenhagen Art Academy under Aksel Jorgensen and Erik Hoppe in the 1950s. During subsequent travel studies in Paris and the south of France in 1953, Carstensen was influenced by the works of Vincent Van Gogh and Georges Braque, developing a deeper understanding of Modernist color-theory. Other study stays included journeys to Italy (1951), Spain and North Africa (1953) and shorter trips to elsewhere in the world, including to America, Germany, Greece, Kenya, England and Belgium. During this period Carstensen was the recipient of multiple scholarships, including from the Hielmstierne-Rosencrone foundation and participated in a number of exhibitions.
In the late 1960s, Carstensen moved to Odsherred and joined the circle of Karl Bovin, reinforcing a tendency for a saturated palette. A teacher at the Jutland Art Council, Carstensen worked and taught in many media and materials including stained-glass and ceramics. His subject matter, however, consistently tended towards landscapes, still-lives and figural works, always dramatically-composed and with clearly-defined color relationships. A popular lecturer at Copenhagen’s Royal Academy of Art, Carstensen became both an influential teacher and avante-garde art-theorist and was the recipient of numerous medals and juried awards. His works can be found today throughout Denmark, including in the Koldinghus Museum, the Sorø Art Museum, and the Museum of the Southern Jutland. We are pleased to offer an exceptional still-life, dating to circa 1950, by this notable Danish Modernist.
Davenport’s Art Reference Guide, 2007/8 Edition, p 468; Kurt Sorensen: Odsherreds Painters, 1989; Kunstindeks Danmark & Weilbachs Kunstnerleksikon; AskArt, The Artists’ Bluebook; et al. less
- 29ʺW × 1ʺD × 24ʺH
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Very Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent condition, unframed. Excellent condition, unframed. less
- Mid-Century Modern
- Oil Paint
- Art Subject
- Still Life
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Typical Delivery Time: 7-14 days.
McNaught Fine Art in Santa Cruz, CA
A 1986 graduate of Christie's Fine Arts of London, I headed the fine art ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Mid-Century Modern Paintings
- Horse Paintings
- Oil Paintings
- Nude Paintings
- Miniature Paintings
- Portrait Paintings
- Landscape Paintings
- Sunflower Paintings
- Flower Paintings
- Cat Paintings
- Surrealist Paintings
- Still Life Paintings
- White Paintings
- 3D Paintings
- Black and White Paintings
- Greek Paintings
- Sunset Paintings
- Green Paintings
- Beach Paintings
- Dot Paintings
- Cherry Blossom Paintings
- Famous Paintings
- Forest Paintings
- Yellow Paintings
- Action Paintings
- Car Paintings
- Color Field Paintings
- Moon Paintings
- Red Paintings
- House Paintings
- Tree Paintings
- Classic Paintings
- Face Paintings
- Genre Paintings
- Oil Paint Paintings
- Venus Paintings
- Watercolor Paintings
- Airbrush Paintings
- Canvas Paintings
- Dog Paintings
- Fruit Oil Paintings
- Galaxy Paintings
- Rock Paintings
- Still Life Oil Paintings
- Textile Paintings
- Venice Oil Paintings
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.