19th Century French Salt Scale With Walnut Base
A rare 19th century brass and iron balance scale used for measuring salt, found in Montpellier having a hand forged ...
moreA rare 19th century brass and iron balance scale used for measuring salt, found in Montpellier having a hand forged iron upright surmounted by a brass finial, supporting a balance beam stamped 'P. TREK' with a metal pan and weight hanging from tripod chains on one side and a thick glass bowl for the salt hanging on the other side. Mounted on a walnut box with a single drawer. The markings on the beam are from the controller to show the scales were balanced and in proper working order. An exceptional culinary antique with a wonderful patina. You don't have to be an epicure or connoisseur to appreciate this one.
For centuries the French people were forced to buy all their salt from royal depots. The social symbolism of salt was painfully evident also. As late as the 18th century, the rank of guests at a banquet was determined by where they sat in relation to an often elaborate silver salt cellar on the table. The host and “distinguished” guests sat "above the salt" or at the head of the table while those of little consequence sat "below the salt" or farthest from the host. The gabelle, or salt tax, was so high during the reign of Louis XVI that it became a major grievance and eventually helped ignite the French Revolution. less
- 30.75ʺW × 12.5ʺD × 39.5ʺH
- Early 19th Century
- Place of Origin
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Good. Wear consistent with age and use. Good. Wear consistent with age and use. less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Lolo French Antiques et More in Birmingham, AL
Lolo French Antiques et More offers one of the South’s most impressive and diverse ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.