1958 "Individualized Measurement of Strata" Lithograph by Paul Klee
An interesting vintage tipped-in lithograph after painting "Individualized Measurement of Strata", 1930, by Paul Klee, from the artist's portfolio published ...
moreAn interesting vintage tipped-in lithograph after painting "Individualized Measurement of Strata", 1930, by Paul Klee, from the artist's portfolio published in London in 1958. Limited Edition. Signed in the print. The plate is attached to a heavy wove paper. Printed on one side. Information about original artwork is printed under the plate. Copy on the back of the insert related to another piece in the portfolio. Rich vivid colors, excellent condition, never used. England, 1958.
10.45"W x 14.10"H overall
6.25"W x 8.5"H image only
This is one of the series of Egyptian "landscapes" which Klee painted after he visited Egypt (December 1928 - January 1929). The series is anticipated by earlier works: two pictures dating from 1924 have the word "Egypt" in their titles. As for the formal conception, this picture reminds us of the fugal, parallel style of 1926. But possibly Klee was on the shores of Nile in spirit before actually going there, for "Blue Mountain" of 1919 even more closely resembles an Egyptian landscape.
We see a pattern consisting of horizontal stripes of varying widths, but only a few of these stripes extend all the way across the picture; most of them are cut by verticals. The horizontal organization of the picture is to some extent neutralized by vertical one, particularly because the stripes within the verticals differ in width and colour from the others. Just as in the parallel figurations, the result is a formal structure that seems to express a certain order and has nothing to do with Egypt.
What Klee expected to find in Egypt was not what ordinary travelers expect to find. He was drawn to Egypt, as he had been drawn to Tunisia in 1914, because it offered a unique combination of the East and the West. Already on his way there, in Syracuse, he said that "the right thing is the historical stimulus combined with nature". The simultaneous view of time and space, which Egypt induced in him, became the key note of his vision and of his art.
Here as elsewhere the pattern, which had probably been latent in Klee before, has connotations both spiritual and physical, and Measurement of Strata expresses Egypt no less than Monument in Fertile Country, only it is more severe and does not suggest the pyramid form. The green stripe at the bottom of the picture is the Nile and the light ochre stripe on top is a hill. In between lie fields of various colours; they suggest layers, but also express a human order. This is an allegorical picture that doe not reveal its secret. less
- 10.45ʺW × 0.1ʺD × 14.1ʺH
- Paul Klee
- Place of Origin
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - minor age wear, never used Excellent - minor age wear, never used less
Print Shop in Dallas, TX
Antiques and art dealer, interior designer, collector and buyer, photographer, web and graphic designer, translator ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 3Ask the Seller / View All
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.