1930's Tennis Etchings Helen Moody Wills - A Pair
Offering a pair of vintage, original, etchings by renowned tennis star Helen Moody Wills. These pieces were acquired from the ...
more Offering a pair of vintage, original, etchings by renowned tennis star Helen Moody Wills. These pieces were acquired from the estate of Helen Moody Wills and included many original etchings by her. Some were signed, these are not. Wonderful images of a woman and man playing tennis in period tennis clothes from the 1930's. Done on paper and some smudges and wrinkles due to the nature of a vintage piece. Double matted in cream and dark brown, frames are dark brown wood and trimmed in gold. Image of woman measures 5 1/2" x 7 1/2" and the man measures 4 1/4" x 3 1/2".
Helen Wills Moody was born Helen Newington Wills in Centerville, California, on October 6, 1905. She was a world champion tennis player in the 1920s and '30s (she competed as Helen Wills Moody after her first marriage). Wills won 31 Grand Slam titles and two Olympic medals. She was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame in 1959. On January 1, 1998, at age 92, Wills died in Carmel, California.
While still competing, Wills took occasional work as a journalist, and also put out a tennis instruction manual. In 1937, she penned an autobiography: 15-30: The Story of a Tennis Player. After retiring, she co-wrote a mystery novel, Death Serves an Ace (1939), with Robert W. Murphy.
Wills had studied fine arts at the University of California, Berkeley, and continued to paint and draw for the rest of her life. Some of her illustrations appeared alongside her writing. Other pieces she created were exhibited in galleries. Diego Rivera also used Wills as a model for his mural "The Riches of California." less
- 13.0ʺW × 2.0ʺD × 14.0ʺH
- Good Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left
- Shipping Options
- Flat Rate Shipping - $19
- Free Local Pickup in Alameda, CA
MGH Discovered Art in Alameda, CA
Discover: dis·cov·er dəˈskəvər/ find unexpectedly or in the course of a search. Art ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 2Ask the Seller / View All
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the buyer's location.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about 3-6 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- If additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs, buyers should make sure to plan accordingly.
- Returns & Cancellations
- Except for Local Pickup and Local Delivery, buyers have 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item(s) and contact firstname.lastname@example.org if they wish to return an item. There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable). Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.