1930's Tennis Etchings Helen Moody Wills - A Pair
Offering a pair of vintage, original, etchings by renowned tennis star Helen Moody Wills. These pieces were acquired from the ...
more Offering a pair of vintage, original, etchings by renowned tennis star Helen Moody Wills. These pieces were acquired from the estate of Helen Moody Wills and included many original etchings by her. Some were signed, these are not. Wonderful images of a woman and man playing tennis in period tennis clothes from the 1930's. Done on paper and some smudges and wrinkles due to the nature of a vintage piece. Double matted in cream and dark brown, frames are dark brown wood and trimmed in gold. Image of woman measures 5 1/2" x 7 1/2" and the man measures 4 1/4" x 3 1/2".
Helen Wills Moody was born Helen Newington Wills in Centerville, California, on October 6, 1905. She was a world champion tennis player in the 1920s and '30s (she competed as Helen Wills Moody after her first marriage). Wills won 31 Grand Slam titles and two Olympic medals. She was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame in 1959. On January 1, 1998, at age 92, Wills died in Carmel, California.
While still competing, Wills took occasional work as a journalist, and also put out a tennis instruction manual. In 1937, she penned an autobiography: 15-30: The Story of a Tennis Player. After retiring, she co-wrote a mystery novel, Death Serves an Ace (1939), with Robert W. Murphy.
Wills had studied fine arts at the University of California, Berkeley, and continued to paint and draw for the rest of her life. Some of her illustrations appeared alongside her writing. Other pieces she created were exhibited in galleries. Diego Rivera also used Wills as a model for his mural "The Riches of California." less
- 13.0ʺW × 2.0ʺD × 14.0ʺH
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
- Shipping Options
- Flat Rate Shipping - $19
- Free Local Pickup in Alameda, CA
MGH Discovered Art in Alameda, CA
Discover: dis·cov·er dəˈskəvər/ find unexpectedly or in the course of a search. Art ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 2Ask the Seller / View All
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the locations of both the buyer and the seller.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about three to six weeks after pickup (pickup may take up to 10 business days).
- Please note that pickups may take longer in some locations where white glove pickup and delivery are less frequent. In some cases delivery can take up to 8 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days business days after the item ships (which may take up to three business days).
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person.
- You will receive a Pickup Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at the time of pickup.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location.
- The buyer will receive a Delivery Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at time of delivery.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Buyers should plan accordingly if additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- White Glove & Flat Rate Shipping
- Buyers have up to 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item and email email@example.com to initiate a return.
- For Flat Rate Shipping returns, buyers will be responsible for packaging and shipping the return within three business days after return shipping label (pre-paid by Chairish) is received.
- There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable).
- Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.