1930's Tennis Etchings Helen Moody Wills - A Pair
Offering a pair of vintage, original, etchings by renowned tennis star Helen Moody Wills. These pieces were acquired from the ...
moreOffering a pair of vintage, original, etchings by renowned tennis star Helen Moody Wills. These pieces were acquired from the estate of Helen Moody Wills and included many original etchings by her. Some were signed, these are not. Wonderful images of a woman and man playing tennis in period tennis clothes from the 1930's. Done on paper and some smudges and wrinkles due to the nature of a vintage piece. Double matted in cream and dark brown, frames are dark brown wood and trimmed in gold. Image of woman measures 5 1/2" x 7 1/2" and the man measures 4 1/4" x 3 1/2".
Helen Wills Moody was born Helen Newington Wills in Centerville, California, on October 6, 1905. She was a world champion tennis player in the 1920s and '30s (she competed as Helen Wills Moody after her first marriage). Wills won 31 Grand Slam titles and two Olympic medals. She was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame in 1959. On January 1, 1998, at age 92, Wills died in Carmel, California.
While still competing, Wills took occasional work as a journalist, and also put out a tennis instruction manual. In 1937, she penned an autobiography: 15-30: The Story of a Tennis Player. After retiring, she co-wrote a mystery novel, Death Serves an Ace (1939), with Robert W. Murphy.
Wills had studied fine arts at the University of California, Berkeley, and continued to paint and draw for the rest of her life. Some of her illustrations appeared alongside her writing. Other pieces she created were exhibited in galleries. Diego Rivera also used Wills as a model for his mural "The Riches of California." less
- 13ʺW × 2ʺD × 14ʺH
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
MGH Discovered Art in New York, NY
Discover: dis·cov·er dəˈskəvər/ find unexpectedly or in the course of a search. Art ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 2Ask the Seller / View All
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.