New England Country Side Landscape Oil Painting
Frederick Mortimer Lamb -New England Country side Landscape-Oil painting-c1900s
oil painting on board -Signed
Frame size 30 ... moreFrederick Mortimer Lamb -New England Country side Landscape-Oil painting-c1900s
oil painting on board -Signed
Frame size 30 x 37"
board size 25 x 31"
(1861 - 1936)
This biography has been provided by Jim McCain, Moody, Alabama. His source is the artist's obituary printed in a June, 1936 Stoughton, Massachusetts newspaper.
"It is Vol. II, No. 36. I can read the first part of the word Saturday, so I am assuming, since he died on June 24, 1936 which was a Wednesday, the date must have been June 27, 1936."
F. MORTIMER LAMB, FAMOUS ARTIST, DIES WEDNESDAY
F. Mortimer Lamb, 75, internationally known artist whose paintings have won renown in many countries, died at his home on Grove Street Wednesday.He was born in Middleboro, May 5, 1861, the son of August and Ardelia (Monk) Lamb. At the age of 17 he entered Massachusetts Normal Art School in Boston and studied under Arthur Smith of England. This school was the first of its type in America. Later he taught modeling in clay and casting and painting in oil from still life at the New England Consevatory of Music. He later was associated with the Boston Art Museum School of Art. He studied in Paris at the Julien Academy.
He was affiliated with the Boston Art Club, American Federation of Arts, Society of American Water Color Painters, New York Water Color Club, Washington Society of Water Color Painters, New Haven Paint and Clay Club, and the Boston Society of Water Color Painters.
Mr. Lamb was a highly skillful artist in many phases of painting. His murals in the corridor of City Hall in Brockton have won admiration from the citizens of that city as well as the many out-of-town visitors who pass through the building.
Mr. Lamb was awarded a silver medal at the Panama Pacific international exhibition in San Francisco for his picture, "Our New England". This picture was proclaimed by leading art critics as typifying the real New England.
"The End of the Trail," a life-size painting of hounds picking up a fox, was the only animal picture accepted by the Boston jury to be shown at the Chicago World's Fair in 1893. More than 600 pictures of various types were passed on by the jury. It was later shown in San Francisco and numerous exhibitions throughout the country. While being shown in Philadelphia it was stolen from the gallery and recovered three years later.
"Trailing Quail" in water colors has been admired in every exhibition in which it has been shown. It has the distinction of having been accepted by the jurors at the New York water color exhibition.
Lifesize Portrait of Mrs. Eddy
Less than 10 years ago, Mr. Lamb completed a portrait of the late Mary Baker Eddy. It is a life-size oil and entitled "The Inspiration." Mrs. Eddy lived in this town about four years.
Mr. Lamb observed his 50th anniversary as an artist about eight years ago and at that time said the work of an artist was never completed. He believed the subject offered new study and achievement through a lifetime. He contended that a man who specialized in one subject of art could not rightfully pose as an artist as the scope was too broad to permit narrowing down to any particular branch.
Mr. Lamb showed remarkable versatility in his work. Whether his medium was oil, water color or pastel, he interpreted his subject equally well. His landscapes were painted with breadth and atmosphere.
Mr. Lamb leaves, besides his wife, other relatives to mourn his loss. Funeral services will be held from the home, Saturday at 3 P.M. Reverend Luther Morris will officiate. Burial will be in Evergreen Cemetery. less
- 37ʺW × 2ʺD × 30ʺH
- 1900 - 1909
- Place of Origin
- North America
- Oil Paint
- Very Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
- Art Subject
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Pasadena Art Monkeys in Pasadena, CA
- Super Seller 2018
Welcome to Pasadena Art Monkeys ! ....our gallery is located at the Pasadena Antiques & Design, in ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Miniature Paintings
- Oil Paintings
- Horse Paintings
- Los Angeles Paintings
- Portrait Paintings
- Nude Paintings
- Sunflower Paintings
- Surrealist Paintings
- Cat Paintings
- Landscape Paintings
- Traditional Paintings
- 3D Paintings
- Beach Paintings
- Black and White Paintings
- Flower Paintings
- Rustic Paintings
- Color Field Paintings
- Still Life Paintings
- Sunset Paintings
- Action Paintings
- Cherry Blossom Paintings
- Country Paintings
- Dot Paintings
- Greek Paintings
- Car Paintings
- Metal Paintings
- Tree Paintings
- Famous Paintings
- Forest Paintings
- Genre Paintings
- Silver Paintings
- Classic Paintings
- Face Paintings
- Rock Paintings
- Drawing/Sketching Materials Paintings
- House Paintings
- Moon Paintings
- Oil Paint Paintings
- Clay Paintings
- Federal Paintings
- Pastel Paintings
- Sculpture Materials Paintings
- Venus Paintings
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.