Early Hans Wegner for Johannes Hansen Jh-503 'The Chair' in Teak & Leather
The seller has put this item on hold. Check back when the hold expires to see if this item is still available.
We are very pleased to offer an early Hans Wegner JH-503 chair designed in 1949 and produced by Johannes Hansen ...
moreWe are very pleased to offer an early Hans Wegner JH-503 chair designed in 1949 and produced by Johannes Hansen. Popularly known as “The Chair”, “Round Chair”, and the “Kennedy Chair”, this is arguably Wegner’s most famous design. To see it in person is to appreciate the refined details and subtle perfection of this piece of furniture. It perfectly represents Wegner’s design philosophy of "continuous purification...to cut down to the simplest possible elements of four legs, a seat, and a combined top rail and armrest." The construction features 11 pieces of wood joined by 12 mortise and tenons and two large finger joints. The finger joints orient the wood grain as the back rail wraps around the body to maximize material strength. The Chair rose to prominence in the 1960 televised debate between Richard Nixon and John F. Kennedy. Both presidential candidates sat in The Chair during the debate.
Solid old growth teak construction with new top-grain black leather upholstery. Stamped with the maker's mark.
24.75” w x 20.75” d x 29.375” h
Seat height 17.5” less
- 24.75ʺW × 20.75ʺD × 29.38ʺH
- Hans Wegner
- Johannes Hansen
- Hans Wegner
- Place of Origin
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Restored, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- In very good vintage condition with some minor marks and wear as shown. Some of the finger joint points are ... moreIn very good vintage condition with some minor marks and wear as shown. Some of the finger joint points are filled, likely original to production. less
- Seat Height
- 17.5 inches
VINTAGE MODERN MAINE in Cumberland Foreside, ME
Vintage Modern Maine presents a curated collection of Mid Century Modern and Danish modern furniture ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Teak Dining Chairs
- Mid-Century Modern Dining Chairs
- Danish Modern Dining Chairs
- Farmhouse Dining Chairs
- Wood Dining Chairs
- Swivel Dining Chairs
- Leather Dining Chairs
- Folding Dining Chairs
- Round Back Dining Chairs
- Brown Dining Chairs
- Danish Dining Chairs
- Upholstered Dining Chairs
- Comfortable Dining Chairs
- High Back Dining Chairs
- Rolling Dining Chairs
- Black Dining Chairs
- Black Outdoor Dining Chairs
- Dining Chairs with Arms
- Tufted Dining Chairs
- Tall Dining Chairs
- Rattan Outdoor Dining Chairs
- Reupholstered Dining Chairs
- Modern Outdoor Dining Chairs
- Outdoor Dining Chairs
- Outdoor Wood Dining Chairs
- White Outdoor Dining Chairs
- Animal Skin Dining Chairs
- Chestnut Dining Chairs
- Ebony Dining Chairs
- Hans Wegner Dining Chairs
- Portland, ME Dining Chairs
- Scandinavian Modern Dining Chairs
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.