1970s Studio Art Pottery Ceramic Sculpture Blue Vase by Maurice Grossman-Cubist Mid Century Modern Brutalist Boho Face Bust Abstract MCM Art Deco
Offering a rare vintage hand-made Studio Art Pottery bust vase by Maurice Grossman, circa 1970s. Maurice Kenneth Grossman (1927-2010) was ...
moreOffering a rare vintage hand-made Studio Art Pottery bust vase by Maurice Grossman, circa 1970s. Maurice Kenneth Grossman (1927-2010) was a renowned well listed artist/ceramicist...see biography below.
This particular bust/face vase is in done in Grossman's traditional blue glaze with an earthenware clay body and applied clay slabs. The artist utilizes a "sgrafitto" technique of deeply incised or inscribed detailing.
The motif depicts a Queen with a crown rim, poised with a statuesque facial expression. The "Medusa" style hair consists of earthenware clay strips entwined together to form the females hair bun . The vase has two rows of small incised circles near the base. The interior of the vase is also glazed with a spotted lighter blue glaze. The bottom reveals the earthenware clay with the artist signature in black, Grossman. A magnificent work of art by one of America's great Studio Art Pottery ceramicists.
EXCELLENT CONDITION. The vase has some missing hair parts as seen in the photos...some of this is intentional and some are missing....otherwise perfect!
A truly unique item for the art pottery collector. Will look fabulous in an Organic or Mid Century Modern home. Also, a nice sculptural vase for the eclectic Boho Chic decor.
PLEASE NOTE: The photos after they were published are appearing intense....the vase is slightly softer in color.
Grossman was born in Detroit and attended Wayne State University before moving to Tucson to teach in 1955. He started the ceramics program at the University of Arizona in 1956 and was an art professor for close to 35 years. After retiring, he continued working on ceramics in his studio. Grossman was a constant supporter of the Ceramics Research Center and mentored several generations of students and community leaders.
- 6.5ʺW × 6.5ʺD × 8ʺH
- Abstract Expressionism
- Art Deco
- Art Nouveau
- Boho Chic
- Folk Art
- Op Art
- Organic Modern
- Pop Art
- The American School
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
- Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent Excellent less
Gallery Avanti in Miami, FL
- Super Seller 2018
Based in Miami Florida, Gallery Avanti specializes in Mid-Century Modern home furnishings. We typically offer ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Abstract Sculpture
- Angel Sculptures
- Aphrodite Sculptures
- Art Deco Sculpture
- Art Nouveau Sculpture
- Bas Relief Sculptures
- Bear Sculptures
- Blue Sculpture
- Boho Chic Sculpture
- Brutalist Sculpture
- Buddha Sculptures
- Bust Sculptures
- Cat Sculptures
- Ceramic Sculpture
- Classical Sculptures
- Contemporary Sculpture
- Cubist Sculptures
- Dragon Sculptures
- Eagle Sculptures
- Earthenware Sculpture
- Egyptian Sculptures
- Elephant Sculptures
- Folk Art Sculpture
- Geometric Sculptures
- Greek Sculptures
- Hand Sculptures
- Heart Sculptures
- Horse Sculptures
- Indian Sculptures
- Lion Sculptures
- Lotus Sculptures
- Metal Wall Sculptures
- Miami Sculpture
- Mid-Century Modern Sculpture
- Minimalist Sculpture
- Mobile Sculptures
- Modern Sculpture
- Nude Sculptures
- Owl Sculptures
- Porcelain Sculpture
- Primitive Sculpture
- Relief Sculptures
- Roman Sculptures
- Sculpture Materials Sculpture
- Sound Sculptures
- Surrealist Sculptures
- Traditional Sculpture
- Tree Sculptures
- Venus Sculptures
- Wire Sculptures
- Wolf Sculptures
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.