Antique British Colonial Davenport/Captain's Desk
The Davenport desk (also called a Captain's desk) is "a small desk that was designed with an inclined lifting desktop" ...
moreThe Davenport desk (also called a Captain's desk) is "a small desk that was designed with an inclined lifting desktop" attached with hinges to allow the top to open to a storage area for keeping papers & writing instruments. (This was way before computers...but it would hold a very large laptop if desired). This particular desk also has a stack of four very substantial drawers underneath the desktop.
The original desk of this style was ordered by a Captain Davenport who served in the British navy in the late 19th century and was designed this way because to allow for use in smaller spaces. The desk was popular until the end of the 19th century and even some made in the 20th century.
There are no dates indicating the exact age of this desk but it is in excellent condition for a piece that probably came from the mid 1800's to the early 1900's. Many of the Davenports are much more intricate in design...but this simple but practical desk could be used in almost any space.
- 22ʺW × 22ʺD × 36ʺH
- Mid 19th Century
- British Colonial
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Restored, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
The only restorations I have made on this desk was adding new leather to the top of the writing table ...
moreThe only restorations I have made on this desk was adding new leather to the top of the writing table and also had water marks removed on the ledge behind the desk top. The balls feet do not look as good as the rest of the desk and there is normal wear for a piece of furniture this age.
The drawers glide smoothly and the desk top hinges were perfectly.
- Table Shape
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Connie C. in Yorba Linda, CA
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.