Lewis Rubenstein (American, 1908-2003) "Macumba" Lithograph
This product is no longer available.
Lithograph, edition of 250, signed & titled "MACUMBA" in pencil, published by Associated Artist of America. Matted and framed. Sight ...
moreLithograph, edition of 250, signed & titled "MACUMBA" in pencil, published by Associated Artist of America. Matted and framed. Sight size 10 1/2 x 14 1/4 inches.
Lewis Rubenstein was born in 1908 in Buffalo, NY. In 1930 he graduated from Harvard University with a B.A. in Fine Arts. He then spent two years as a Harvard Travelling Fellow in Europe, studying in France and Italy. From 1935 to 1938 he accepted commissions to paint frescoes murals in Harvard museums, as well as buildings in Detroit. In 1937 he began his long career as an art educator, joining the faculty of Vassar in 1939 as Instructor in Art. After a year's leave of absence to paint another commission, Rubenstein returned to Vassar in 1941. In 1942 he married Erica Beckh and took another leave of absence from Vassar to paint ship camoflage for the U.S. Navy during the Second World War. In 1946 he returned to Vassar as an Assistant Professor of Art. He became Associate Professor in 1951 and remained at the college until his retirement in 1974. As an artist, Rubenstein worked in a variety of media, from oil paint to "water-based techniques" such as ink, fresco, and watercolor (see "Introduction," Lewis Rubenstein: Retrospective Exhibition). He also continued to draw and sketch, producing during a series of sketched portraits of Vassar colleagues during faculty meetings. Rubenstein exhibited his work widely in gallerys such as Harvard's Busch-Reisinger Museum, the Albany Institute of History and Art, the National Academy of Design, and the Whitney Museum of American Art in New York. Lewis Rubenstein died in June 2003 at age 94 in Shelborne, Vermont. less
- 24ʺW × 2ʺD × 17ʺH
- Very Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Good vintage condition. Good vintage condition. less
- Art Subject
Uptown Vintage in New York, NY
Uptown Vintage is based in Harlem, New York City. We feature art, decor, furniture and ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.