The Wrong Leader - Abstract Expressionist Painting
This product is no longer available
John Olympio’s artist statement—John was born into a large family of six children in Lome, Togo, West Africa ...
John Olympio’s artist statement—John was born into a large family of six children in Lome, Togo, West Africa. As far as he can remember, he has always been painting and creating. He began his work drawing and creating sculpture. With his father being an entrepreneur, he was able to use the building scraps to create small sculptures as he was growing up. By the time he was in high school, he had started to experiment with mixed media and collage.
The artist’s work has been shown in many places in Togo and neighboring countries. A few places include the city art center in his hometown of Lome and the largest hotel in the country, Hotel Sarakawa. He then went on to show and sell his work in Paris, France. John moved to the Twin Cities in November 2003. He has continued to paint and show his work since he has been here. He has had his work shown in many galleries locally and nationally.
John has almost always worked in the abstract. He has done several realistic works throughout his career, but he was always drawn back to the abstraction of life. “Art is a spirit,” is a statement he lives by. His work is created using dry pigment, sand, and dust and anything else around that inspires him. He does a lot of collage and sewing in his paintings. He would love to explain more of his work, but he doesn’t think art is something you can explain. “You just have to feel it. It is a spirit,” he states. “Painting is like dreaming … I don’t choose my dreams, they choose me. I don’t decide what I paint, everything comes to me. It is more spiritual than realistic. Painting is my spirit, it is my soul. One day, John Olympio will die, but his paintings will stay … They are my spirit.”
About this piece—Three faces emerge from the quick and expression filled brushwork as well as paint straight from the tube on a black background. Packed into this restrictive space, the energy surrounding the figures makes them capable of possibly jump off the canvas. less
- 48.0ʺW × 2.0ʺD × 36.0ʺH
- Excellent Minor wear consistent with age and history
- Shipping Options
- White Glove Shipping available in continental U.S.
- Free Local Pickup in Culver City, CA
- Ask the seller if Local Delivery is available
Galerie Sommerlath in Culver City, CA
Galerie Sommerlath is an art and antiques shop specializing in American and European 20th Century ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the buyer's location.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about 3-6 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- If additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs, buyers should make sure to plan accordingly.
- Returns & Cancellations
- Except for Local Pickup and Local Delivery, buyers have 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item(s) and contact firstname.lastname@example.org if they wish to return an item. There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable). Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.