- Room Accents & Accessories
- Screens & Room Dividers
- Vintage Chinese Colonial 6-Fold Woven Bamboo Sc...
Vintage Chinese Colonial 6-Fold Woven Bamboo Screen
This six fold screen has a wood frame encasing pictorial panels expressed in woven designs in intricately woven bamboo mats ...
moreThis six fold screen has a wood frame encasing pictorial panels expressed in woven designs in intricately woven bamboo mats. On the front sides are bird and flower compositions copied from wood block painting manuals. Each design is contained within a rectangular, fan shaped cartouche on a background of interesting weaving pattern. The back sides have the same configuration but the panels are only of woven designs. The header of each screen is of a half trefoil shape. Finely carved designs on the apron are inserted at the base of each panel between the feet to give stability. The eight fold screen can stand on its own, or it can be mounted on a wall. The set of eight panel screens has all the Chinese elements but it still maintains a foreign look. Perhaps it is the half trefoil shape top of each panel and it has an aura of colonial furniture. I can only make intelligent guesses regarding the origin of this set of screens. The technique of weaving fine bamboo matting belonged to skilled weavers in port cities along China's southern seacoast.
By mid 19 century, foreigners had settled in treaty ports along the coast. The British taipans (bosses of the trading companies) built western style houses and furnished them with Victorian furniture imported from Great Britain. That was costly and time consuming. They turned to local furniture makers for decorative pieces, made to their specifications. As a result, this eight panel screen could have been one of their collaborations. On a side note, the weavers of the intricate bamboo mats were also very clever artisans who expressed their talents by weaving rather than painting. They were inspired by famous painting compositions found in instructive painting manuals such as the Mustard Seed Garden Manual, a series of woodblock albums with illustrations of landscape, calligraphy, still life, and bird and flower paintings. Famous compositions of rooster and of cranes from the 18th century can still be expressed so well on weaving 200 years later.
Each panel of the six panel screen is 18 inches wide, 1.5 inches thick and 71 inches high less
- 108ʺW × 1.5ʺD × 71ʺH
- Early 20th Century
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Restored, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Three friends S. in Lindenhurst, IL
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 2Ask the Seller / View All
- Asian Screens & Room Dividers
- Brown Screens & Room Dividers
- Chicago Screens & Room Dividers
- Chinese Screens & Room Dividers
- Decorative Room Dividers
- Folding Room Dividers
- Hanging Room Dividers
- Large Room Dividers
- Traditional Screens & Room Dividers
- Victorian Screens & Room Dividers
- Wood Screens & Room Dividers
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.