To our Community:
These are beyond unprecedented times. Over the last several months, our country has seen a deadly pandemic, historic joblessness, and now, sparked by the devastating killings of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor and too many others, a passionate national protest movement against the discriminatory and violent treatment of Black Americans. To state clearly what we believe: Black lives matter.
In light of recent events we’ve been reflecting on the role of Chairish, the company we founded together, and have come to recognize that we should be doing more to support the Black community.
Here are some areas we’ve identified where we will do better:
- We will continue our scholarship program that provides tuition assistance to aspiring design students from underrepresented communities and expand our focus to more directly outreach to Black students.
- We will do more to spotlight Black sellers and those of color on our site, in our emails, and on social media.
- We will do more to spotlight the talents of Black designers and those of color.
- We will try harder to actively recruit more Black candidates and those of color.
- As change requires sustained effort over time, we are expanding the conversation internally with a cross-section of Chairish employees who will help identify and implement specific and measurable programs in our company and our community.
- We are in the process of compiling a list of organizations that our team currently supports in the fight for social justice. We’ll be sharing these in the near future.
Is this enough? Probably not and surely we’ll find lots more to do. Will we make mistakes? Yep. Chairish is powered by humans with good intentions. Sometimes we get it right and other times we learn. We ask for your patience with us and each other as we take this challenge on.
If you have a question, story or thought to share, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Best to you and hoping that you are well and safe!