- Casegoods & Storage
- Bookcases & Étagères
- Final Markdown Kay Leroy Ruggles for Directiona...
Final Markdown Kay Leroy Ruggles for Directional 1970 Umbo Modular Shelving
The ‘Umbo’ shelving system, a bit of space age plastic fantastic first produced by Directional Furniture of New York in ...
moreThe ‘Umbo’ shelving system, a bit of space age plastic fantastic first produced by Directional Furniture of New York in 1970. For many years the Umbo shelves were misattributed to Italian designer Joe Colombo and understandably so. In fact the modular and customizable shelving system was designed by American Kay Leroy Ruggles.
By the 1960’s many European designers and manufacturers began experimenting with plastics as a reliable material in furniture manufacturing. Plastics like acrylics and ABS could be molded and cast into almost any shape and in bold, daring colors. It was a period of tremendous change not only in design but socially and the buying public was eager for something new. Directional sensed this and starting producing a limited run of plastic furniture including the Umbo shelving system.
Made from ABS plastic and available in four colors (white, orange, yellow, and brown) the inventive Umbo system came with interlocking forms which, via a pin and hole set up, could be snapped together in any configuration the customer needed. What’s most remarkable about the shelving is that – without any fasteners at all – its astonishingly study and stable.
Because of its strength and versatility the Umbo system was met with success however it was only on the market for a few years. The Oil Crisis that began in 1973 drove the price of petroleum products – necessary in the production of ABS plastics – up considerably making the shelving too expensive to continue production. Today they are extremely collectible.
plastic modules can be re-assembled in different configurations. therefore dimensions below might not be accurate for the forms in which you choose to assemble these UMBO pieces.
Condition: Good to fair vintage condition. Some effects of time such as yellowing visible. Some evidence of use. Don't miss this versatile piece of design history.
All best, Otto
Final Markdown pricing is firm and final markdowns are final sale. thanks less
- 66ʺW × 12ʺD × 73ʺH
- Mid-Century Modern
- Condition Notes
- Fair - Has lived a "full life" and has a distressed look with noticeable wear Fair - Has lived a "full life" and has a distressed look with noticeable wear less
Otto Binx in Brooklyn, NY
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 1Ask the Seller / View All
- 2 Shelf Bookcases
- 3 Shelf Bookcases
- 4 Shelf Bookcases
- 5 Shelf Bookcases
- Antique White Bookcases & Étagères
- Barrister Bookcases
- Bookcases with Doors
- Bookcases with Drawers
- Bookcases with Glass Doors
- Corner Bookcases
- Floating Bookcases
- Glass Door Bookcases
- Horizontal Bookcases
- Large Bookcases
- Lawyer Bookcases
- Low Bookcases
- Mid-Century Modern Bookcases & Étagères
- Modular Bookcases
- Narrow Bookcases
- New York Bookcases & Étagères
- Pallet Bookcases
- Revolving Bookcases
- Rolling Bookcases
- Round Bookcases
- Short Bookcases
- Small Bookcases
- Tall Bookcases
- Tall Narrow Bookcases
- Wall Mounted Bookcases
- White Bookcases & Étagères
- Wide Bookcases
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.