Naina Kanodia Original Oil Painting, Art Naif From India
Naina Kanodia (India: 1950) is a major presence in the Indian art world. She works in the L' Art Naif ...
more Naina Kanodia (India: 1950) is a major presence in the Indian art world. She works in the L' Art Naif style pioneered by Henri Rousseau and uses it to create a dialogue between millenniums-old Indian culture and contemporary life in South Asia. The dazzling colors and dizzying patterns never overwhelm the honest humanity of her subjects who are the focus of her work.
"Dance Troupe" (1993) shows a group of acrobatic monkeys, and a trained goat, in an urban square. The monkeys are in western clothes while the people (except one) are in South Asian garb. They are surrounded by brightly painted colonial architecture, and a dark stone church extreme left. The cricket bat, cigarette and bicycle also refer the the imperialist past. The diagonal grade of the cobblestones that form the predominant background pattern, along with the lack of perspective, throws the whole composition off kilter to match the skewed themes.
Her biography from the Archer Art Gallery of Modern and Contemporary Indian Art:
Born in 1950, grew up in Delhi, graduating from Lady Shri Ram College in Economics (Hons) winning the National Scholarship of the Government of India. An economist turned painter, Naina is entirely a self-taught artist except for a year’s apprenticeship with Anjolie Ela Menon. She held her first solo show in Mumbai at the Cymroza Art Gallery and in Delhi at the Lalit Kala Academy in 1986. She has several solo exhibitions in India and few shows abroad. Naina has also participated in over twenty group and charity exhibitions in different parts of India and the world, beside her participation in workshops and art camps. Amongst her important exhibitions are the shows held at the Jehangir art gallery, Mumbai in 1991, at Sridharani in 1994, at ARKS gallery London in 1997 and at MIDAN Musee International d’art naïf. Paris. She lives and works in Mumbai.
34.25" x 44.5"
36.25" x 46.5" framed.
Oil on canvas. Signed lower left Naina K / 93.
The canvas is stretched out toward upper right (probably from leaning against the corner of a table too long). No tears, missing paint or repairs. less
- 36.25ʺW × 2ʺD × 46.5ʺH
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
- Shipping Options
- Estimated White Glove Shipping - $399
- Free Local Pickup in Sarasota, FL
- Ask the seller if Local Delivery is available
Fine Home Consignments in Sarasota, FL
Your best consignment store furniture and home decor. FINE HOME CONSIGNMENTS has an exceptional selection ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the locations of both the buyer and the seller.
- Local deliveries typically take about less than 3 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about three to six weeks after pickup (pickup may take up to 10 business days).
- Please note that pickups may take longer in some locations where white glove pickup and delivery are less frequent. In some cases delivery can take up to 8 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-14 days business days after the item ships (which may take up to three business days).
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person.
- You will receive a Pickup Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at the time of pickup.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location.
- The buyer will receive a Delivery Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at time of delivery.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Buyers should plan accordingly if additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- White Glove & Flat Rate Shipping
- Buyers have up to 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item and email firstname.lastname@example.org to initiate a return.
- For Flat Rate Shipping returns, buyers will be responsible for packaging and shipping the return within three business days after return shipping label (pre-paid by Chairish) is received.
- There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable).
- Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.