Naina Kanodia Original Oil Painting, Art Naif From India
Naina Kanodia (India: 1950) is a major presence in the Indian art world. She works in the L' Art Naif ...
moreNaina Kanodia (India: 1950) is a major presence in the Indian art world. She works in the L' Art Naif style pioneered by Henri Rousseau and uses it to create a dialogue between millenniums-old Indian culture and contemporary life in South Asia. The dazzling colors and dizzying patterns never overwhelm the honest humanity of her subjects who are the focus of her work.
"Dance Troupe" (1993) shows a group of acrobatic monkeys, and a trained goat, in an urban square. The monkeys are in western clothes while the people (except one) are in South Asian garb. They are surrounded by brightly painted colonial architecture, and a dark stone church extreme left. The cricket bat, cigarette and bicycle also refer the the imperialist past. The diagonal grade of the cobblestones that form the predominant background pattern, along with the lack of perspective, throws the whole composition off kilter to match the skewed themes.
Her biography from the Archer Art Gallery of Modern and Contemporary Indian Art:
Born in 1950, grew up in Delhi, graduating from Lady Shri Ram College in Economics (Hons) winning the National Scholarship of the Government of India. An economist turned painter, Naina is entirely a self-taught artist except for a year’s apprenticeship with Anjolie Ela Menon. She held her first solo show in Mumbai at the Cymroza Art Gallery and in Delhi at the Lalit Kala Academy in 1986. She has several solo exhibitions in India and few shows abroad. Naina has also participated in over twenty group and charity exhibitions in different parts of India and the world, beside her participation in workshops and art camps. Amongst her important exhibitions are the shows held at the Jehangir art gallery, Mumbai in 1991, at Sridharani in 1994, at ARKS gallery London in 1997 and at MIDAN Musee International d’art naïf. Paris. She lives and works in Mumbai.
34.25" x 44.5"
36.25" x 46.5" framed.
Oil on canvas. Signed lower left Naina K / 93.
The canvas is stretched out toward upper right (probably from leaning against the corner of a table too long). No tears, missing paint or repairs. less
- 36.25ʺW × 2ʺD × 46.5ʺH
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Fine Home Consignments in Sarasota, FL
Your best consignment store furniture and home decor. FINE HOME CONSIGNMENTS has an exceptional selection ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- 3D Paintings
- Action Paintings
- Asian Paintings
- Beach Paintings
- Black and White Paintings
- Car Paintings
- Cat Paintings
- Cherry Blossom Paintings
- Classic Paintings
- Color Field Paintings
- Contemporary Paintings
- Dot Paintings
- Elephant Paintings
- Face Paintings
- Famous Paintings
- Flower Paintings
- Forest Paintings
- Galaxy Paintings
- Genre Paintings
- Greek Paintings
- Green Paintings
- Horse Paintings
- House Paintings
- Landscape Paintings
- Miniature Paintings
- Modern Paintings
- Moon Paintings
- Nude Body Paintings
- Oil Paintings
- Portrait Paintings
- Rock Paintings
- Skull Paintings
- Still Life Paintings
- Sunflower Paintings
- Sunset Paintings
- Surrealist Paintings
- Tampa Paintings
- Tree Paintings
- Venus Paintings
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.