Vintage Diana Thorne Print - Bulldogs
A vintage print depicting two bulldogs. The print is from a vintage and highly collectable book, Thorne illustrated in the ...
more A vintage print depicting two bulldogs. The print is from a vintage and highly collectable book, Thorne illustrated in the 1930s. The seller has salvaged these beautiful illustrations of dogs at play and at rest.
Diana Thorne was born Ann Woursell on October 7, 1895 in Odessa, Russia. (Some evidence indicates that she may have actually been born in 1894.) In her youth, Thorne spent time in Winnipeg, Canada and later on a farm in Calgary, Canada. She was to eventually become one of America's most recognized canine artists.
The author-illustrator of more than forty books and illustrator of more than fifty, Thorne's main reason for success was a total dedication to her drawing and a deep love for her subject matter. A sportswoman and owner of dogs herself, Thorne illustrated (and often authored) children's books dealing with dogs and animal life. Thorne's longtime publisher was the Saalfield Publishing Company of Akron, Ohio, once a leading publisher of children's literature and paper novelties. In her etchings of dogs, Thorne had the ability to show motion and action. A combination of whirling lines with solid lines and light and dark tones brings to the viewer's eyes the dog in motion. Thorne’s dog etchings are admired because they capture the humor and energy transpired by man and dog. Very much in demand as an animal portrait painter, Thorne illustrated some of the most famous dogs in America, including Franklin D. Roosevelt's Scottie "Fala" and Admiral Richard E. Byrd's "Igloo", the terrier who accompanied him on his famous Antarctic Expedition. (from dianathorne.com)
Each measures 9 x 11 and each would look lovely framed. Sold individually. less
- 9.0ʺW × 0.1ʺD × 11.5ʺH
- Art Deco
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
- Shipping Options
- Flat Rate Shipping - $29
- Free Local Pickup in Stowe, VT
L'Affichiste in Stowe, VT
Karen Etingin opened her Montreal gallery, L'Affichiste, ten years ago after deciding to turn ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person.
- Local Delivery
- Buyers should plan accordingly if additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- White Glove & Flat Rate Shipping
- Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.