- Casegoods & Storage
- Trunks & Chests
- Trunks & Blanket Chests
- Ancient Kafiristan Wooden Dowry/Treasure Chest
Ancient Kafiristan Wooden Dowry/Treasure Chest
Ancient distressed wooden dowry treasure chest from Kafiristan (Nuristan), now part of Afghanistan.
Approximate Dimensions: 48" wide; 46" high at ... more Ancient distressed wooden dowry treasure chest from Kafiristan (Nuristan), now part of Afghanistan.
Approximate Dimensions: 48" wide; 46" high at the back; 44" high at the front; 27" deep (front to back); 2-3" thick.
Ancient Kafiristan (Nuristan) Dowry Treasure Chest
Kafiristan or Kafirstan is a historical region that covered present-day Nuristan Province located on the southern slopes of the Hindu Kush Mountains in the northeastern part of Afghanistan. The region was historically known as Kafiristan (meaning "Land of the kafirs") because of its inhabitants - the Nuristani, an ethnically distinctive people who practiced a form of ancient Hinduism.
The Kafirs are thought to be the old native population – the original inhabitants of the plains country of Afghanistan in what is now Nuristan (also spelled Nurestan or Nooristan). The surrounding area fell to Alexander the Great in 330 B.C; and folk legend suggests that the Nuristani people are descendants of Alexander (or the generals of his army). It later fell to Chandragupta Maurya; and the Mauryas introduced Buddhism to the region. The Kafirs were driven back into the mountain areas by the arrival of Islam in the country about 700AD; and they did not convert to Islam with the rest of the population; remaining pagan for several more centuries. They were largely independent until the late 19th century, when the region was attacked by the forces of Emir Abdur Rahman Khan and the population was forcibly converted to Islam.
Kafiristan was full of steep and wooded valleys. It was famous for its precise wood carvings, especially of cedar-wood pillars, carved doors, furniture such as dowry chests and horn chairs, and statuary. Despite many sites being torched and burned to the ground; some of these items survived, as they were reused in mosques, temples and shrines.
- 48.0ʺW × 27.0ʺD × 46.0ʺH
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
- Shipping Options
- Estimated White Glove Shipping - $509
- Free Local Pickup in Jamison, PA
- Ask the seller if Local Delivery is available
Birchard Hayes & Company in Jamison, PA
In this materialistic world of disposable, perishable products designed to quickly fall out of favor ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the locations of both the buyer and the seller.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about three to six weeks after pickup (pickup may take up to 10 business days).
- Please note that pickups may take longer in some locations where white glove pickup and delivery are less frequent. In some cases delivery can take up to 8 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days business days after the item ships (which may take up to three business days).
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person.
- You will receive a Pickup Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at the time of pickup.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location.
- The buyer will receive a Delivery Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at time of delivery.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Buyers should plan accordingly if additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- White Glove & Flat Rate Shipping
- Buyers have up to 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item and email email@example.com to initiate a return.
- For Flat Rate Shipping returns, buyers will be responsible for packaging and shipping the return within three business days after return shipping label (pre-paid by Chairish) is received.
- There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable).
- Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.