- Casegoods & Storage
- Trunks & Chests
- Trunks & Blanket Chests
- Ancient Kafiristan Wooden Dowry/Treasure Chest
Ancient Kafiristan Wooden Dowry/Treasure Chest
Ancient distressed wooden dowry treasure chest from Kafiristan (Nuristan), now part of Afghanistan.
Approximate Dimensions: 48" wide; 46" high at ... more Ancient distressed wooden dowry treasure chest from Kafiristan (Nuristan), now part of Afghanistan.
Approximate Dimensions: 48" wide; 46" high at the back; 44" high at the front; 27" deep (front to back); 2-3" thick.
Ancient Kafiristan (Nuristan) Dowry Treasure Chest
Kafiristan or Kafirstan is a historical region that covered present-day Nuristan Province located on the southern slopes of the Hindu Kush Mountains in the northeastern part of Afghanistan. The region was historically known as Kafiristan (meaning "Land of the kafirs") because of its inhabitants - the Nuristani, an ethnically distinctive people who practiced a form of ancient Hinduism.
The Kafirs are thought to be the old native population – the original inhabitants of the plains country of Afghanistan in what is now Nuristan (also spelled Nurestan or Nooristan). The surrounding area fell to Alexander the Great in 330 B.C; and folk legend suggests that the Nuristani people are descendants of Alexander (or the generals of his army). It later fell to Chandragupta Maurya; and the Mauryas introduced Buddhism to the region. The Kafirs were driven back into the mountain areas by the arrival of Islam in the country about 700AD; and they did not convert to Islam with the rest of the population; remaining pagan for several more centuries. They were largely independent until the late 19th century, when the region was attacked by the forces of Emir Abdur Rahman Khan and the population was forcibly converted to Islam.
Kafiristan was full of steep and wooded valleys. It was famous for its precise wood carvings, especially of cedar-wood pillars, carved doors, furniture such as dowry chests and horn chairs, and statuary. Despite many sites being torched and burned to the ground; some of these items survived, as they were reused in mosques, temples and shrines.
- 48.0ʺW × 27.0ʺD × 46.0ʺH
- Good Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left
- Shipping Options
- Estimated White Glove Shipping - $399
- Free Local Pickup in Jamison, PA
- Ask the seller if Local Delivery is available
Birchard Hayes & Company in Jamison, PA
In this materialistic world of disposable, perishable products designed to quickly fall out of favor ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the buyer's location.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about 3-6 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- If additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs, buyers should make sure to plan accordingly.
- Returns & Cancellations
- Except for Local Pickup and Local Delivery, buyers have 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item(s) and contact firstname.lastname@example.org if they wish to return an item. There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable). Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.