1940 Fritz Roetter Rialto Burlesque House Photograph
Black and white photo in mat, signed, dated and titled by the photographer. "Seeing Chicago - State St., near Van Buren ...
more Black and white photo in mat, signed, dated and titled by the photographer. "Seeing Chicago - State St., near Van Buren - Rialto Burlesque House" - Fritz Roetter, 1940. Hinda Wausau was a striptease and burlesque star of the day, so seeing her name captured in lights is pretty great.
There is some discoloration and rippling to the photo due to improper storage.
I purchased these from an estate because they’re fantastic old pictures of the city I've made my home, but what makes them even more special is the man who took them. Friedrich “Fritz” Roetter was one of the most famous attorneys in Berlin in the 1930s. He defended Ernst Thalmann, the leader of the Communist Party in Germany, in the Reichstag Fire Trial. Roetter was arrested on March 28, 1935 for “resistance against Nazi ‘Justice’ as defending counsel in a case connected with the Reichstag fire,” incarcerated in Gestapo Prison in Berlin, and took flight abroad after release. His Alien File photograph is featured in an exhibition at the German Resistance Memorial Centre in Berlin. Friedrich Roetter continued his career in Madison, Wisconsin, as a writer and news commentator. He is also the author of “Might is Right,” an account of the Legal system of the Third Reich, published in 1939.
The mat is 16" x 20", image is 10" x 13". less
- 16.0ʺW × 0.5ʺD × 20.0ʺH
- Fair Has lived a "full life" and has a distressed look with noticeable wear
- Mid-Century Modern
- Shipping Options
- Free Shipping in the continental U.S.
- Free Local Pickup in Chicago, IL
Take 2 Vintage in Chicago, IL
We at Take 2 Vintage love it all...home decor, textiles, ceramics, glass; industrial, rustic ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the buyer's location.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about 3-6 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- If additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs, buyers should make sure to plan accordingly.
- Returns & Cancellations
- Except for Local Pickup and Local Delivery, buyers have 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item(s) and contact firstname.lastname@example.org if they wish to return an item. There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable). Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.