1940 Fritz Roetter Rialto Burlesque House Photograph
Black and white photo in mat, signed, dated and titled by the photographer. "Seeing Chicago - State St., near Van Buren ...
more Black and white photo in mat, signed, dated and titled by the photographer. "Seeing Chicago - State St., near Van Buren - Rialto Burlesque House" - Fritz Roetter, 1940. Hinda Wausau was a striptease and burlesque star of the day, so seeing her name captured in lights is pretty great.
There is some discoloration and rippling to the photo due to improper storage.
I purchased these from an estate because they’re fantastic old pictures of the city I've made my home, but what makes them even more special is the man who took them. Friedrich “Fritz” Roetter was one of the most famous attorneys in Berlin in the 1930s. He defended Ernst Thalmann, the leader of the Communist Party in Germany, in the Reichstag Fire Trial. Roetter was arrested on March 28, 1935 for “resistance against Nazi ‘Justice’ as defending counsel in a case connected with the Reichstag fire,” incarcerated in Gestapo Prison in Berlin, and took flight abroad after release. His Alien File photograph is featured in an exhibition at the German Resistance Memorial Centre in Berlin. Friedrich Roetter continued his career in Madison, Wisconsin, as a writer and news commentator. He is also the author of “Might is Right,” an account of the Legal system of the Third Reich, published in 1939.
The mat is 16" x 20", image is 10" x 13". less
- 16ʺW × 0.5ʺD × 20ʺH
- Mid-Century Modern
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
- Shipping Options
- Free Shipping in the continental U.S.
- Free Local Pickup in Chicago, IL
Take 2 Vintage in Chicago, IL
We at Take 2 Vintage love it all...home decor, textiles, ceramics, glass; industrial, rustic ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person.
- Local Delivery
- Buyers should plan accordingly if additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- White Glove & Flat Rate Shipping
- Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.