Olivier Mourgue "Djinn Relaxer" Chaise
An iconic cult favorite of the 1960´s available here. Mourgue's Djinn (Djinn is the root word for Genie, as ...
more An iconic cult favorite of the 1960´s available here. Mourgue's Djinn (Djinn is the root word for Genie, as in Genie in a bottle...) collection was used extensively in Stanley Kubrick´s film " 2011: A Space Odyssey" 1968.
The chaise lounge measures 66" long, 24" wide, and 26" tall.
Olivier Mourgue (born 1939 in Paris, France). Olivier Mourgue is well-known for his furniture design, but he is also a painter and landscape designer. He recently published a book which is titled "Imaginary Gardens and Little Theatres" for the Sainsbury Centre of Visual Arts.
Olivier Mourgue studied interior design at the 'Ecole Boulle' and furniture design at the 'l'Ecole Nationale Superieure des Arts Decoratifs' in Paris graduating in 1960. Additionally, Olivier Mourgue trained from 1958 to 1961 in Finland and also in Sweden where he worked for Maurice Holland, Nordiska Kompaniet in Stockholm.
Olivier Mourgue worked with the French manufacturer 'Airborne International' (located in Montreuilsous-Bois, France) from 1963. At Airborne, Olivier Mourgue designed his well-known classic Djinn chairs (1965) made famous by '2001: A Space Odyssey' by Stanley Kubrick. Stanley Kubrick created a futuristic rotating Hilton hotel in Space. In it, the Djinn chairs received their lasting moment of fame. The Djinn chairs feature a wave-like, low-slung silhoette. Olivier Mourgue named the chairs 'Djinn" which In Muslim legend, a spirit often capable of assuming human or animal form and exercising supernatural influence over people. Stanley Kubrick destroyed all the sets and props of '2001: A Space Odyssey', afraid that they might fall into the hands of lesser directors.
While designing for 'Airborne International', Olivier Mourgue also worked as an interior designed for the 'Agence d'Architecture Interieure Gautier-Delaye'. in 1966, Olivier Mourgue established his own design studio in Paris. At his own design studio, Olivier Mourgue created furniture for French companies like Renault, Prisunic and Mobilier National. He also created a beautiful table- and floor lamp for Disderot, France which featured a stem with flower shaped shades. Olivier Mourgue also designed shop interiors and a factory in tournus. In 1968, Olivier Mourgue created a chair which he named 'Cubique" which won the AID International Design Award.
Olivier Mourgue's most fabulous yet most unknown complete interior design project was made for Visiona by Bayer AG. From 1968 until 1972 (estimate), Bayer AG hired the most talented designers to create an entire futuristic display on board of a ship in Cologne, Germany. Each year, a different designer was hired. Joe Colombo made Visiona in 1969. Verner Panton made Visiona in 1970, Olivier Mourgue made Visiona in 1971 and as far as we know, Jack Lenor Larsen created the last Visiona, either in 1972 or 1974. in 1971, Bayer AG hired Olivier Mourgue for the complete interior installation of Visiona. During Visiona, Olivier Mourgue created an entire natural landscape with rivers, carpets that ressembled earth- grass- and other natural floor coverings, modular movable rooms. It was the most relaxing environment that was ever created during Visiona. Olivier Mourgue who had always been very close to nature, tried and successfully succeeded to implement nature in most of the Visiona. The Visiona of Olivier Mourgue was a Utopia where man and nature lived side by side in peace. It was a wonderful experience to be there at that time and Olivier Mourgue's Visiona was one of the most memorable interior installations that were ever created.
In 1976, Olivier Mourgue closed his studio in moved to Bretagne, France where he became a professor at the school of Fine Arts in Brest. Olivier Mourgue currently lives Plouguiel, a small town in Bretagne, France. Every once in a while he displays his art in Brest, France.
Most of the works by Olivier Mourgue can be found in museum collections. Unfortunately, the main manufacturer 'Airborne International" that used to produce his design, is no longer in business. Original design from Olivier Mourgue can be found at antique shops that specialize in modern design or auction houses.
It is in good vintage condition with no rips or tears in the fabric. Original upholstery. There are a couple very slight marks on the fabric, see pics.
Please note has a gorgeous, subtle floral pattern that is hard to capture in pics. less
- 66ʺW × 24ʺD × 22ʺH
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
- Mid-Century Modern
- Airborne International
- Olivier Mourgue
Otto Binx in Brooklyn, NY
After many years as an academic, I realized that my work as an art and ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 2Ask the Seller / View All
- Chesterfield Couches & Sofas
- Circular Couches & Sofas
- Convertible Couches & Sofas
- Curved Couches & Sofas
- Leather Couches & Sofas
- Long Couches & Sofas
- Microfiber Couches & Sofas
- Mid-Century Modern Chaises
- Modular Couches & Sofas
- New York Chaises
- Patio Couches & Sofas
- Pull-Out Couches & Sofas
- Red Chaises
- Small Couches & Sofas
- Tufted Couches & Sofas
- Velvet Couches & Sofas
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.