Vintage New York City Subway Scroll
This is a miraculously well-preserved original New York City subway sign dating to the early years of the city subway ...
more This is a miraculously well-preserved original New York City subway sign dating to the early years of the city subway system. This is a double-sided sign 'curtain' or 'scroll,' still attached to its original pair of rollers, that would have been mounted in a 'sign box' to illustrate the destination and service of a given train. Conductors and motormen would change the signs as appropriate for the given service, and straphangers would see just one of these destinations at a time. As this is the entire scroll, all of the iconic routes are listed together. The sign dates to an era that saw the system divided into three privately-run divisions. Competing for public interest were the IRT (the Interborough Rapid Transit Company), the IND (the city's Independent Subway System), and the BMT (Brooklyn Manhattan Transit Corporation). The latter system ran the majority of the lines today known to Brooklyn riders, all of which are today known by a series of letters. On this sign, their original line descriptions are indicated. The L train is labeled as the 14th Street Line, the J train the Jamaica line, the R train the Fourth Ave Line, and a variety of others
The roll would look phenomenal framed or hung, either in its entirety or split between the sections. The entire sign is around nine feet, though the text portion is around six feet. The bold sans-serif text looks striking in any light, and the black matte vellum has a particular character to it. The sign has aged extremely well after decades of use, with the "Via Bridge" and "Via Tunnel" lines most well-worn. There are a few taped portions of the sign that were likely repaired by the transit company--I have not touched them. Some excess vellum from the side is also slightly torn, common on such signs. I have made no repairs to preserve the originality of the sign, but its condition as-is is generally excellent. Even the rollers at either end are still preserved. . less
- 18ʺW × 0.2ʺD × 108ʺH
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
- Shipping Options
- Flat Rate Shipping - $20
fromunderground in New York, NY
Vintage goods of the New York City subway.
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the locations of both the buyer and the seller.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about three to six weeks after pickup (pickup may take up to 10 business days).
- Please note that pickups may take longer in some locations where white glove pickup and delivery are less frequent. In some cases delivery can take up to 8 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days business days after the item ships (which may take up to three business days).
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person.
- You will receive a Pickup Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at the time of pickup.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location.
- The buyer will receive a Delivery Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at time of delivery.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Buyers should plan accordingly if additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- White Glove & Flat Rate Shipping
- Buyers have up to 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item and email firstname.lastname@example.org to initiate a return.
- For Flat Rate Shipping returns, buyers will be responsible for packaging and shipping the return within three business days after return shipping label (pre-paid by Chairish) is received.
- There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable).
- Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.