Martella Cone Lane -California Landscape -Oil Painting -Impressionist C.1920s
Martella Cone Lane -California Landscape -Oil Painting -Impressionist c.1920s
Martella Cone Lane (1875 - 1962) was active/lived in ... moreMartella Cone Lane -California Landscape -Oil Painting -Impressionist c.1920s
Martella Cone Lane (1875 - 1962) was active/lived in California, Iowa. Martella Lane is known for portrait, still life, animal and redwood tree painting
From Albia, Iowa, Martella Cone Lane became a painter especially noted for the redwood trees of northern California. She was the youngest of five children in a family supported by a father who was a minister. In 1890, when she was fifteen, her family moved to Hollister, California, but she remained in the Midwest to attend Cotner College in Lincoln, Nebraska. In 1895, she had earned a diploma in art, and in 1931, the College bestowed an honorary Doctor of Fine Arts Degree upon her.She studied briefly at Drake University in Des Moines and then went to northern California where she married George Robert Lane in 1899. The couple moved to Fortuna, and she taught art privately and at Fortuna Union High School. In 1927, she went to southern California where she taught art at Chapman College and also taught adult classes. Her early paintings were portraits, animals and still life, but in 1908, after taking a break from her painting to raise four children, she again took up her brushes and this time turned to the redwood trees for her subjects. Shortly after that recognition came including in 1912, when she won an award at the California State Fair and when the Kanst Gallery in Los Angeles began a long-term association. In 1915, representatives of Humboldt County, submitted Cone's painting, Monarch of the Forest, owned by the county, to the Panama Pacific Exposition. Also a well-known calendar publisher, the Thomas D. Murphy of Red Oak, Iowa, commissioned redwood paintings from Lane.By 1920, her name was prominently linked to the 'big trees', and she, realizing they were in jeopardy of being destroyed, began years of service with the Save the Redwoods League. She traveled widely to speak to groups, and in 1923, as recognition for her good service, the State Forestry Service gave her land for a studio among the redwoods.In 1927, Lane moved to Southern California and continued to paint trees but also did many seascape easel paintings and did murals. She traveled to surrounding states including Arizona, Colorado and Utah, where the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in Salt Lake City has one of her paintings.In the early 1950s, she lived in Whittier and quit painting because of a stroke. She died there in 1962. Eureka, California, in redwood country, has paintings by Martella Cone in the Carnegie Library and Clarke Memorial Library.
size 25 x 29" less
- 29ʺW × 4ʺD × 25ʺH
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Pasadena Art Monkeys in Pasadena, CA
- Super Seller 2018
Welcome to Pasadena Art Monkeys ! ....our gallery is located at the Pasadena Antiques & Design, in ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- 3D Paintings
- Action Paintings
- Beach Paintings
- Black and White Paintings
- Blue Paintings
- Car Paintings
- Cat Paintings
- Cherry Blossom Paintings
- Children's Paintings
- Classic Paintings
- Color Field Paintings
- Country Paintings
- Dot Paintings
- Elephant Paintings
- Face Paintings
- Famous Paintings
- Flower Paintings
- Forest Paintings
- Galaxy Paintings
- Genre Paintings
- Greek Paintings
- Green Paintings
- Horse Paintings
- House Paintings
- Landscape Paintings
- Los Angeles Paintings
- Miniature Paintings
- Moon Paintings
- Nude Paintings
- Oil Paintings
- Portrait Paintings
- Rock Paintings
- Rustic Paintings
- Skull Paintings
- Still Life Paintings
- Sunflower Paintings
- Sunset Paintings
- Surrealist Paintings
- Tree Paintings
- Venus Paintings
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.