1932 Porcelain New York Subway Canal Street Sign
This product is no longer available.
This nearly mint original piece comes straight from the New York City subway system's Canal Street station in the heart ...
moreThis nearly mint original piece comes straight from the New York City subway system's Canal Street station in the heart of Lower Manhattan. Installed in the early 1930s upon the opening of the station and the grand realignment of New York's 6th Avenue (later the Avenue of the Americas), this item has been meticulously preserved for decades since its removal from the platforms likely in the mid-1970s. One can only imagine the millions of straphangers who probably passed the sign, mounted to one of the station support pillars lining the platform edge, since its installation.
It is a porcelain enamel piece fabricated by the Nelke Veribrite Signs Company of New York, which was the final iteration of a company known through various periods as L.D. Nelke Signs, Nelke Porcelain Metals, and finally Nelke Veribrite. The stunning art deco text comes from a unique font designed specifically for the New York subway system, likely hand-stenciled by a sign painter and then cast for the signs installed in this station.
Condition is uniquely excellent. There is no meaningful enamel loss whatsoever with only faint traces of pillar paint and some subway dirt staining the sign. The signs of the New York Transit Museum are less pristine! The sign has a very slight bend and some staining dirt around the mounting holes which could likely be removed.
For art deco connoisseurs, Tribeca residents, and New York City historians alike, this piece is unique and unmatched in condition and heritage. The final photo featured is not part of the sale, but is in fact a photo from 1945 taken by a young Stanley Kubrick. In it the dark, dank Canal Street station is shown, with a sign like this one mounted upon a pillar. The heritage of this piece is unmatched. less
- 12ʺW × 0.1ʺD × 6ʺH
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
fromunderground in New York, NY
Vintage goods of the New York City subway.
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.