Oil Study for Myth of the Nubile Captives (Aka: Hey, That's Not Art!)
This is an acrylic triptych on stretched commercially manufactured canvas in 3 sections of H20" x 16" each. Depth approx ...
more This is an acrylic triptych on stretched commercially manufactured canvas in 3 sections of H20" x 16" each. Depth approx. i inch. Ready to hang.
This homage to the grandiose traditions of classical academic painting is meant as a play on views from that era concerning the role of women and "primitive" (ie, non-white) peoples. It's ironic to think just a few short years ago this sort of production was what constituted "Art" to the exclusion of all else, while today the exact opposite is true. We suppose ourselves more enlightened but every time I read about a new show that "pushes the boundaries of what art can be" or "redefines what art is" I get a quivery feeling that we are simply praising a modern day equivalent of "Raft of the Medusa" without being conscious of it.
I think art wastes way too much time defining itself. My creative tentacles have always shot in different directions and lately I'm more prone than ever to indulge whatever takes my fancy - like a fat lazy octopus - whether within the bounds of current art world "acceptability" or not.
For those who care, the female figure is from Masimo Stanzione's "Susanna and the Elders" - a bible story popular with artists thru the centuries because it was an excuse to show nubile maidens in various states of undress and/or ravishment. Thank heaven we need no such excuses today! These "savages" are from various comic books and movies.
If you think this is wacky, wait 'til ya see what I'm planning: a mural-sized panel with a full war canoe, six helpless females and half a dozen chest thumping captors; but I'll probably never do it. Even I'm too artistically chicken to waste months on a project like that.
For those ready to follow their own weird taste and scoff at current art world dictums, this painting is STRETCHED AND READY TO HANG and does not require framing. Nuff said. less
- 48.0ʺW × 0.1ʺD × 20.0ʺH
- Excellent Minor wear consistent with age and history
- Shipping Options
- Flat Rate Shipping - $59
- Free Local Pickup in SANTA MARIA, CA
- $50 Local Delivery Curbside Delivery within 50 miles of 93458. 20837 does not qualify.
Geoff Greene in SANTA MARIA, CA
My name is Geoff Greene. I am the artist and this gallery is my best ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the buyer's location.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about 3-6 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- If additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs, buyers should make sure to plan accordingly.
- Returns & Cancellations
- Except for Local Pickup and Local Delivery, buyers have 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item(s) and contact email@example.com if they wish to return an item. There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable). Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.