Oil Study for Myth of the Nubile Captives (Aka: Hey, That's Not Art!)
This is an acrylic triptych on stretched commercially manufactured canvas in 3 sections of H20" x 16" each. Depth approx ...
more This is an acrylic triptych on stretched commercially manufactured canvas in 3 sections of H20" x 16" each. Depth approx. i inch. Ready to hang.
This homage to the grandiose traditions of classical academic painting is meant as a play on views from that era concerning the role of women and "primitive" (ie, non-white) peoples. It's ironic to think just a few short years ago this sort of production was what constituted "Art" to the exclusion of all else, while today the exact opposite is true. We suppose ourselves more enlightened but every time I read about a new show that "pushes the boundaries of what art can be" or "redefines what art is" I get a quivery feeling that we are simply praising a modern day equivalent of "Raft of the Medusa" without being conscious of it.
I think art wastes way too much time defining itself. My creative tentacles have always shot in different directions and lately I'm more prone than ever to indulge whatever takes my fancy - like a fat lazy octopus - whether within the bounds of current art world "acceptability" or not.
For those who care, the female figure is from Masimo Stanzione's "Susanna and the Elders" - a bible story popular with artists thru the centuries because it was an excuse to show nubile maidens in various states of undress and/or ravishment. Thank heaven we need no such excuses today! These "savages" are from various comic books and movies.
If you think this is wacky, wait 'til ya see what I'm planning: a mural-sized panel with a full war canoe, six helpless females and half a dozen chest thumping captors; but I'll probably never do it. Even I'm too artistically chicken to waste months on a project like that.
For those ready to follow their own weird taste and scoff at current art world dictums, this painting is STRETCHED AND READY TO HANG and does not require framing. Nuff said. less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
- Shipping Options
- Flat Rate Shipping - $59
- Free Local Pickup in SANTA MARIA, CA
- $50 Local Delivery Curbside Delivery within 50 miles of 93458. 20837 does not qualify.
Geoff Greene in SANTA MARIA, CA
My name is Geoff Greene. I am the artist and this gallery is my best ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the locations of both the buyer and the seller.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about three to six weeks after pickup (pickup may take up to 10 business days).
- Please note that pickups may take longer in some locations where white glove pickup and delivery are less frequent. In some cases delivery can take up to 8 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days business days after the item ships (which may take up to three business days).
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person.
- You will receive a Pickup Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at the time of pickup.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location.
- The buyer will receive a Delivery Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at time of delivery.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Buyers should plan accordingly if additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- White Glove & Flat Rate Shipping
- Buyers have up to 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item and email firstname.lastname@example.org to initiate a return.
- For Flat Rate Shipping returns, buyers will be responsible for packaging and shipping the return within three business days after return shipping label (pre-paid by Chairish) is received.
- There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable).
- Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.