Kermit Oliver "Les Ameriques" Hermès Silk Scarf
This product is no longer available.
This is a vintage Hermes scarf entitled "Les Ameriques" by American designer Kermit Oliver. The scarf was first issued in …
moreThis is a vintage Hermes scarf entitled "Les Ameriques" by American designer Kermit Oliver. The scarf was first issued in 1992 to commemorate the 500 year anniversary of Christopher Columbus’s voyage to the United States.
Kermit Oliver (born 1943) is an American painter who studied and worked as both an artist and a postman in Texas, USA. Oliver primarily worked in painting, but is also celebrated for his work as a designer for Hermes. The relationship began in 1980, when owner Lawrence Marcus of Neiman Marcus introduced Oliver to the Hermes company. Oliver produced 17 custom designs for Hermes over 32 years, and is the only American artist to ever design for Hermes.
Oliver was commissioned to produce a commemorative scarf for Hermes and their American clientele that celebrated the 500 year anniversary of Christopher Columbus's voyage to the U.S. Columbus, an Italian explorer hired by the Spanish, completed four voyages across the Atlantic Ocean with the intent to find a direct water route west from Europe to Asia. In his first voyage in 1492, Columbus landed in what is now the Bahamas, "discovering" and providing a travel route to the New World.
This commemorative scarf embodies the monumental voyage of 1492, with Columbus featured prominently. The scarf also features a Native American adjacent to Columbus in traditional attire. Surrounding them are various exotic animals, native drawings and designs, traditional European sculptures, and decorative foods and symbols. The design features traditional European elements including art, crests, cherubs, and animals at right aside Columbus, while native elements such as wild animals, Native American drawings, and primitive art are depicted at left aside the Native American figure. Columbus stands above his three ships that were used in his voyage, the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria. An early European map is depicted in the top quarter of the composition featuring discovered lands.
An embodiment of the voyage and America during the 15th century, this scarf is one of Oliver's most elaborate designs. At bottom, the title "Les Ameriques" is featured prominently. The copyright mark "Hermes Paris" is printed in gold lettering slightly left of the title. The colorway is exceedingly vibrant, featuring cool blue tones, bright green, light pink, and pale yellow.
Original 100% silk scarf in very good condition with hand-rolled edges. Colors are vibrant, no significant wear to silk. Framed according to conservation standards in a custom black frame.
Framed dimensions: 42" H x 42" W x 1.5" D. less
- 42ʺW × 1.5ʺD × 42ʺH
- Early 21st Century
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Original 100% silk scarf in very good condition with hand-rolled edges. Colors are vibrant, no significant wear to silk. Framed … moreOriginal 100% silk scarf in very good condition with hand-rolled edges. Colors are vibrant, no significant wear to silk. Framed according to conservation standards in a custom black frame less
No questions or comments yet
Return Policy - All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
The Chairish Buyer Guarantee ensures that you have complete peace of mind when
making a purchase on Chairish in the event that your item:
- Does not arrive
- Is broken during transit
- Is materially different than what you purchased
- On approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales are final once buyer or buyer’s agent takes possession of an item.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Local rates are available on most items where the delivery location is within 50 miles.
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks.
- In-Home Delivery
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.
- International Parcel
- International parcel shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged through Fedex
- You will be updated with a tracking number once shipping is booked
- International parcel shipments can take anywhere from 1 - 6 weeks to be delivered
- In-Home Expedited International Shipping
- In-Home Expedited International Shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged by Metropolitan and will be delivered to your room of choice
- In-home expedited shipments can take anywhere from 3-7 weeks to be delivered
- Expedited International Shipping
- Expedited international shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- You will need tools and/or equipment to open the crate; Fedex will not open the crate for you
- You will be updated with a tracking number once your item has been booked for air shipment
- Expedited international shipments can take anywhere from 2 - 4 weeks to be delivered
- International Shipping
- International shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged through Schumacher Cargo and automatically come with in-home delivery
- You will receive a tracking number once your item has cleared customs