Laugh a Minute, Ernie Kovacs, Bob Hope Comedy, S/6
This product is no longer available.
There were plenty of TV comedies in the Mid Century and just as many comedians headlining their own shows. Here's ...
moreThere were plenty of TV comedies in the Mid Century and just as many comedians headlining their own shows. Here's a collection of six books featuring some of the best TV funny men from the 1950s and '60s. Perhaps the best of the best was Ernie Kovacs - a great innovative influencer of TV comedy for decades. This book is 'how to talk at gin.' This is a first edition, 144-page hardcover from Doubleday & Co., 1962. Gin rummy was one of the most popular games in Mid Century, and here, Kovacs points fun at the players and the playing. He illustrated the book. Bob Hope's book is a Vietnam Story - 'Five Women I Love' - an illustrated memoir of a roadshow that took him to Vietnam, Thailand and way stations to entertain the troops. He brought Janis Paige, Anita Bryant, Kaye Stevens, Joey Heatherton and Carroll Baker ("Baby Doll") with him. Lots of Hope's brand of humor about the military with some black-and-white photos of his entourage. This is a 255-page Doubleday edition from 1966.
Art Linkletter was sort of the grandaddy comedian in this group. He rose to TV fame with his programs featuring children saying "the darndest things." 'Oops' is a first edition from Doubleday, 1967, illustrated by Phil Interlandi. 'The Secret World of Kids' includes letters from parents of kids seeking advice. These letters came from fans of his kid-centered shows. They asked, for instance, "What about smooching?" This is a 285-page book published by Bernard Geis Associates in 1959.
The last two books, without jackets, include Grouch Marx's 1960 book, 'Memoirs of a Mangy Lover.' This 214-page book is a 2nd printing, published by Bernard Geis Associates in 1963.
With charming illustrations by Leo Hershfield.
The last book in the pile belongs to Jack Paar, the famous late-night TV host. His book, 'I Kid You Not' was published by Little,Brown and Co., in 1960. It includes black-and-white photos of Paar growing up, and later at work on his Late Night show.
All six books are in good vintage condition, with signs of expected wear to dust jackets and boards. The most valuable book by Ernie Kovacs is browned on the last few pages, where someone kept (and removed) a newspaper clipping. Also, page 51 has three light coffee/bourbon tea spots. Despite the sunning, the text is legibly hilarious,
The other five books are unmarked inside; clean and bright after 55 + years. Finally, two of the books are book club - Linkletter's 'The Secret World of Kids' and Bob Hope's Vietnam story, 'Five Women I love.'
Mid Century funny men paved the way for what was to follow - including "Laugh In," the Late Night shows, and comedians, like Groucho, who host popular network game shows. But some of these funny men are still making us laugh. Even when I think of Kovac's "Nairobi Trio" I start to chuckle.
These books are a great set for today's comedians, vintage TV collectors, or those of us
who know laughter is still the best medicine. less
- 5.75ʺW × 5.3ʺD × 8.25ʺH
- Mid-Century Modern
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
The Sophisticated Reader in Los Angeles, CA
Vintage literature, art & design books, fashion magazines, decorative accessories & One-of-a-Kinds for the Sophisticated Reader.
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.