Laugh a Minute, Ernie Kovacs, Bob Hope Comedy, S/6
This product is no longer available.
There were plenty of TV comedies in the Mid Century and just as many comedians headlining their own shows. Here's ...
more There were plenty of TV comedies in the Mid Century and just as many comedians headlining their own shows. Here's a collection of six books featuring some of the best TV funny men from the 1950s and '60s. Perhaps the best of the best was Ernie Kovacs - a great innovative influencer of TV comedy for decades. This book is 'how to talk at gin.' This is a first edition, 144-page hardcover from Doubleday & Co., 1962. Gin rummy was one of the most popular games in Mid Century, and here, Kovacs points fun at the players and the playing. He illustrated the book. Bob Hope's book is a Vietnam Story - 'Five Women I Love' - an illustrated memoir of a roadshow that took him to Vietnam, Thailand and way stations to entertain the troops. He brought Janis Paige, Anita Bryant, Kaye Stevens, Joey Heatherton and Carroll Baker ("Baby Doll") with him. Lots of Hope's brand of humor about the military with some black-and-white photos of his entourage. This is a 255-page Doubleday edition from 1966.
Art Linkletter was sort of the grandaddy comedian in this group. He rose to TV fame with his programs featuring children saying "the darndest things." 'Oops' is a first edition from Doubleday, 1967, illustrated by Phil Interlandi. 'The Secret World of Kids' includes letters from parents of kids seeking advice. These letters came from fans of his kid-centered shows. They asked, for instance, "What about smooching?" This is a 285-page book published by Bernard Geis Associates in 1959.
The last two books, without jackets, include Grouch Marx's 1960 book, 'Memoirs of a Mangy Lover.' This 214-page book is a 2nd printing, published by Bernard Geis Associates in 1963.
With charming illustrations by Leo Hershfield.
The last book in the pile belongs to Jack Paar, the famous late-night TV host. His book, 'I Kid You Not' was published by Little,Brown and Co., in 1960. It includes black-and-white photos of Paar growing up, and later at work on his Late Night show.
All six books are in good vintage condition, with signs of expected wear to dust jackets and boards. The most valuable book by Ernie Kovacs is browned on the last few pages, where someone kept (and removed) a newspaper clipping. Also, page 51 has three light coffee/bourbon tea spots. Despite the sunning, the text is legibly hilarious,
The other five books are unmarked inside; clean and bright after 55 + years. Finally, two of the books are book club - Linkletter's 'The Secret World of Kids' and Bob Hope's Vietnam story, 'Five Women I love.'
Mid Century funny men paved the way for what was to follow - including "Laugh In," the Late Night shows, and comedians, like Groucho, who host popular network game shows. But some of these funny men are still making us laugh. Even when I think of Kovac's "Nairobi Trio" I start to chuckle.
These books are a great set for today's comedians, vintage TV collectors, or those of us
who know laughter is still the best medicine. less
- 5.75ʺW × 5.3ʺD × 8.25ʺH
- Mid-Century Modern
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
- Shipping Options
- Flat Rate Shipping - $19
The Sophisticated Reader in Los Angeles, CA
Vintage literature, art & design books, fashion magazines, decorative accessories & One-of-a-Kinds for the Sophisticated Reader.
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the locations of both the buyer and the seller.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about three to six weeks after pickup (pickup may take up to 10 business days).
- Please note that pickups may take longer in some locations where white glove pickup and delivery are less frequent. In some cases delivery can take up to 8 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days business days after the item ships (which may take up to three business days).
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person.
- You will receive a Pickup Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at the time of pickup.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location.
- The buyer will receive a Delivery Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at time of delivery.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Buyers should plan accordingly if additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- White Glove & Flat Rate Shipping
- Buyers have up to 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item and email firstname.lastname@example.org to initiate a return.
- For Flat Rate Shipping returns, buyers will be responsible for packaging and shipping the return within three business days after return shipping label (pre-paid by Chairish) is received.
- There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable).
- Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.