Bridge Extension Dining Table by Matthew Hilton
This product is no longer available.
The seller says: The Bridge Extension Table by Matthew Hilton, distributed by Case Furniture in the UK, was a Design ...
moreThe seller says: The Bridge Extension Table by Matthew Hilton, distributed by Case Furniture in the UK, was a Design Within Reach exclusive when I bought it in the US in 2011. A contemporary classic, its light yet energetic proportions remind me of a gazelle about to bound off into the forest. I deeply regret that I'm moving to an apartment with insufficient space for a formal dining table. This table is very difficult to find in the US -- a rare find. In perfect condition except for one scratch, barely visible at a normal viewing distance. The leaves have been used only once.
ABOUT THE TABLE:
The contemporary Bridge table is a notably expressive piece, a fine example of British designer Matthew Hilton’s ability to imbue his designs with both functional necessity and feeling.
It has solid walnut-stained ash legs with a walnut veneered top. The table has gently tapered legs with an outward facing curvature, the supporting frame arcs underneath the elliptical table top like a bridge, creating both leg room and the signature look of the piece.
1.6m table extends to 2.5m and sits a maximum of 10 people (2 leaves can be used singularly). Seats 4-6 without the leaves.
ABOUT THE DESIGNER:
From an early age, Hilton was interested in painting, sculpture and architecture, and yet, the notion of being a "designer" didn't occur to him until it was suggested by a tutor at Portsmouth College of Art. The idea suited Hilton, who enrolled in the renowned Furniture and Design course at England's Kingston Polytechnic. After graduation he worked as an industrial designer and model maker until 1984 when he set up his own design studio/workshop. Two years later he launched a series of shelves at the Milan Furniture Fair, and in 1991 he designed the Balzac Armchair, which was first received with circumspect curiosity but then quickly embraced as a modern classic.
Since the Balzac, however, Hilton's work has taken on a less stylistic, more functional approach. He believes in creating furniture that people live with, and his inspiration often comes from long-established furniture forms. He now works to update and reinvent these forms, while keeping an eye on the future. In 2006, Hilton's Cross Extension Table won the annual Elle Decoration Design Award for Best in Furniture. The table showcases Hilton's advanced wood manufacturing techniques, as well as his sense of proportion, scale and functionality.
Matthew Hilton has learned from every piece he's designed, whether it was because it allowed him to work in a new material, with a new manufacturer or for stylistic reasons. "All of my pieces are loaded with meaning and memory and are very personal to me," says the British designer. Hilton, however, is quick to add that he doesn't believe in design movements, and instead prefers to think of the design process as part of the evolution of any object through history. less
- 43.3ʺW × 63ʺD × 29.13ʺH
- Design Within Reach
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
Elena M. in Brooklyn, NY
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 3Ask the Seller / View All
- Brown Dining Tables
- Contemporary Dining Tables
- Corner Dining Tables
- Distressed Dining Tables
- Expandable Dining Tables
- Extendable Dining Tables
- Farmhouse Dining Tables
- Folding Dining Tables
- High Dining Tables
- Modern Dining Tables
- Narrow Dining Tables
- New York Dining Tables
- Outdoor Dining Tables
- Oval Dining Tables
- Pedestal Dining Tables
- Reclaimed Wood Dining Tables
- Round Dining Tables
- Small Dining Tables
- Square Dining Tables
- Trestle Dining Tables
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.