Vintage Howard Cook Print "Southern Mountaineer"
This is a great vintage book print of Howard Cook (1901-1980)'s 1936 piece "Southern Mountaineer." The original (aquatint ...
moreThis is a great vintage book print of Howard Cook (1901-1980)'s 1936 piece "Southern Mountaineer." The original (aquatint and soft-ground) is in the collections of the Smithsonian and the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Cook was one of the great globetrotting artists of the 20th century best known for his work in printmaking (etching, woodcutting and wood engraving). I believe the piece came from a catalogue from a show of Cook's work or from a group show. The work features deep, dramatic shadows that are the result of persistent, methodical hatching. It is currently framed as is. If desired you could have it matted to center the piece in the frame.
Cook started out his artistic career as an illustrator for Forum magazine and other publications. In 1926, he traveled to New Mexico on assignment for Forum to create Southwestern-themed woodcuts. During the 1930s Cook was lucky enough to snag not just one, but two Guggenheim Fellowships. The first would take him to Taxco, Mexico, where he would learn the fresco techniques the great Mexican muralists of the period. He would also continue to make prints. The second would take him to the American South, where he would create numerous sketches and preparatory drawings for future prints and frescoes. During the 1930s, Cook famously worked as a muralist for the W.P.A., painting frescoes for the Pittsburgh Courthouse, the San Antonio Post Office, and the Corpus Christi Post Office, among other places. less
- 10.75ʺW × 1ʺD × 13.25ʺH
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
Uptown Vintage in New York, NY
Uptown Vintage is based in Harlem, New York City. We feature art, decor, furniture and ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.