- Room Accents & Accessories
- Wall Accents
- Vintage Howard Cook Print "Southern Mountaineer"
Vintage Howard Cook Print "Southern Mountaineer"
This is a great vintage book print of Howard Cook (1901-1980)'s 1936 piece "Southern Mountaineer." The original (aquatint ...
more This is a great vintage book print of Howard Cook (1901-1980)'s 1936 piece "Southern Mountaineer." The original (aquatint and soft-ground) is in the collections of the Smithsonian and the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Cook was one of the great globetrotting artists of the 20th century best known for his work in printmaking (etching, woodcutting and wood engraving). I believe the piece came from a catalogue from a show of Cook's work or from a group show. The work features deep, dramatic shadows that are the result of persistent, methodical hatching. It is currently framed as is. If desired you could have it matted to center the piece in the frame.
Cook started out his artistic career as an illustrator for Forum magazine and other publications. In 1926, he traveled to New Mexico on assignment for Forum to create Southwestern-themed woodcuts. During the 1930s Cook was lucky enough to snag not just one, but two Guggenheim Fellowships. The first would take him to Taxco, Mexico, where he would learn the fresco techniques the great Mexican muralists of the period. He would also continue to make prints. The second would take him to the American South, where he would create numerous sketches and preparatory drawings for future prints and frescoes. During the 1930s, Cook famously worked as a muralist for the W.P.A., painting frescoes for the Pittsburgh Courthouse, the San Antonio Post Office, and the Corpus Christi Post Office, among other places. less
- 10.75ʺW × 1.0ʺD × 13.25ʺH
- Excellent Minor wear consistent with age and history
- Shipping Options
- Flat Rate Shipping - $19
- Free Local Pickup in New York, NY
Uptown Vintage in New York, NY
Uptown Vintage is based in Harlem, New York City. We feature art, decor, furniture and ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the buyer's location.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about 3-6 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- If additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs, buyers should make sure to plan accordingly.
- Returns & Cancellations
- Except for Local Pickup and Local Delivery, buyers have 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item(s) and contact firstname.lastname@example.org if they wish to return an item. There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable). Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.