1939 WPA New York City Guidebook, 1st Edition
This product is no longer available.
This is an extremely rare 1st edition depression-era NYC guidebook published as part of the American Guide Series, a Works ...
more This is an extremely rare 1st edition depression-era NYC guidebook published as part of the American Guide Series, a Works Progress Administration program for writers during the depression. 50 + guides were published for all the States and select cities.
It makes a great Christmas or Hanukah gift for New York enthusiasts.
Discover the New York City of yesteryear, when a room at the Plaza Hotel was $8, when a cab was 20 cents for the first mile and 5 cents thereafter, and when the subway (not yet the MTA!) was 5 cents, or 10 cents on the 5th Avenue line.
The book is an amazing snapshot of New York of the late 1930s, as well as an indispensable reference for the history of the city. Filled with snappy writing and long expositions on the history of New York, it makes a great collectible for anyone who loves the Big Apple. (My girlfriend and I have used this as a contemporary guidebook, to explore what neighborhoods used to look like.)
There are 35+ maps printed in the book, as well as a near-mint fold-out map in a pocket in the back, as well as dozens of pages of illustrations and old photographs. Excellent reference material on all five boroughs, including “Richmond” (as Staten Island used to be known.)
Discover New York when the West Side was filled with an “amazing variety of retail shops selling radios, pets, garden seeds, fireworks, sporting goods, shoes, textiles, and church supplies;” when the Lower East Side was “two square miles of tenements and crowded streets” that magnified “all the problems and conflicts of big-city life;” when Greenwich village was still “a symbol of revolt in the ferment of postwar years” (i.e. WWI, not WWII); when “Hell’s Kitchen” was still aptly named; when Times Square was a place to see “the world’s most beautiful girls;” when Union Square “belong[ed] to the working people of new York” and hawkers sold the Daily Worker and other radical newspapers; and when Murray hill recalled “baroque brownstone mansions, crinoline and lavender, hoop skirts and trailing gowns, hansom cabs and four-in-hands;”
At the time, the Empire State building was till the tallest in the world and Madison Square Gardens held communist rallies when 20,000 people attended.
So much more to discover! The book itself is in good condition. Unfortunately, the bottom of the dust jacket has torn apart.
Postal delivery is $5. less
- 4.0ʺW × 1.0ʺD × 8.0ʺH
- Good Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
- Shipping Options
- Flat Rate Shipping - $5
- Free Local Pickup in Brooklyn, NY
Samuel Ivan in Brooklyn, NY
Samuel Ivan Ferguson specializes in American, French, Italian and Danish mid century modern and vintage ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 4Ask the Seller / View All
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the locations of both the buyer and the seller.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about three to six weeks after pickup (pickup may take up to 10 business days).
- Please note that pickups may take longer in some locations where white glove pickup and delivery are less frequent. In some cases delivery can take up to 8 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days business days after the item ships (which may take up to three business days).
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person.
- You will receive a Pickup Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at the time of pickup.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location.
- The buyer will receive a Delivery Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at time of delivery.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Buyers should plan accordingly if additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- White Glove & Flat Rate Shipping
- Buyers have up to 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item and email firstname.lastname@example.org to initiate a return.
- For Flat Rate Shipping returns, buyers will be responsible for packaging and shipping the return within three business days after return shipping label (pre-paid by Chairish) is received.
- There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable).
- Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.