19th Century French Hand Painted Ceramic Barbotine Pig Pitcher Signed Onnaing
This antique water pitcher was crafted in Northern France, circa 1880. The jug, titled "Cochon au Jambon" (pig with ham), …
moreThis antique water pitcher was crafted in Northern France, circa 1880. The jug, titled "Cochon au Jambon" (pig with ham), features a pig sculpture with a laurel leaf crown carrying a ham, and embellished with a sausage link handle. The figure has wonderful facial expressions and a unique shape. The playful pitcher is in excellent condition and has rich colors throughout in a tan skin tone. Markings on the bottom with #755, Onnaing made in France. The farm animal subject matter is a Classic motif of French country style. A similar piece is pictured in the book "Pichets en Barbotines" by Maryse Bottero page 84. (See last two pictures).
The Onnaing Faiencerie was founded in Onnaing, France, in 1821 by Charles de Bousies. During the second half of the 19th century, the Mouzin brothers bought the factory and ran it until the factory closed in 1938. It was nearly destroyed by the Germans during World War I, but production restarted in 1921. The factory made mostly Majolica pitchers and planters. Onnaing designs included flowers, geometric patterns and famous historical figures, among others. Each design had a number and a corresponding model name. The marks “Frie Onnaing” and “Made in France” indicate that it was made after World War I. Best known among Onnaing Majolica are his pitchers with pigs or roosters.
Measures: 8.25" W x 5" D x 8.5" H. less
- 8.25ʺW × 5ʺD × 8.5ʺH
- Early 20th Century
- Place of Origin
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Wear consistent with age and use Excellent - Wear consistent with age and use less
Typical Shipping: 7-14 days
No questions or comments yet
Return Policy - All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
- French Pitchers
- Milk Pitchers
- Lemonade Pitchers
- Ceramic Pitchers
- Pink Pitchers
- Iced Tea Pitchers
- Water Pitchers
- French Country Pitchers
- New and Custom Blue Pitchers
- New and Custom Ceramic Pitchers
- New and Custom Crystal Pitchers
- New and Custom Glass Pitchers
- New and Custom Green Pitchers
- New and Custom Pitchers
- New and Custom White Pitchers
The Chairish Buyer Guarantee ensures that you have complete peace of mind when
making a purchase on Chairish in the event that your item:
- Does not arrive
- Is broken during transit
- Is materially different than what you purchased
- On approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales are final once buyer or buyer’s agent takes possession of an item.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Local rates are available on most items where the delivery location is within 50 miles.
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks.
- In-Home Delivery
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.
- International Parcel
- International parcel shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged through Fedex
- You will be updated with a tracking number once shipping is booked
- International parcel shipments can take anywhere from 1 - 6 weeks to be delivered
- In-Home Expedited International Shipping
- In-Home Expedited International Shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged by Metropolitan and will be delivered to your room of choice
- In-home expedited shipments can take anywhere from 3-7 weeks to be delivered
- Expedited International Shipping
- Expedited international shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- You will need tools and/or equipment to open the crate; Fedex will not open the crate for you
- You will be updated with a tracking number once your item has been booked for air shipment
- Expedited international shipments can take anywhere from 2 - 4 weeks to be delivered
- International Shipping
- International shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged through Schumacher Cargo and automatically come with in-home delivery
- You will receive a tracking number once your item has cleared customs